3CXPhone for Android can be easily deployed with 3CX Phone System using the Plug and Play feature in 3CX Phone System Version 10.
- This article is dedicated to 3CX Phone System Administrators that need to quickly deploy 3CXPhone for Android to its company users.
- Plug and Play provisioning only works with 3CX Phone System IP PBX and 3CXPhone for Android.
Configuring 3CXPhone for Android using the 3CX Phone System Plug and Play Feature
1) Download 3CXPhone for Android from the Android Market. After installation is complete, the app will launch.
3CXPhone for Android first time users will have no accounts configured. Upon launch, a dialog will appear informing you that no SIP Profiles are available. You will have 2 options.
- Auto Provision – This will send a provisioning request to your 3CX Phone System server.
- Create Profile – This will give you the option to configure your account manually by entering the settings.
2) Click on the Auto Provision Button.
3CXPhone for Android will send a provisioning request to the 3CX Phone System server. NOTE: This works only when the 3CXPhone for Android is on the same LAN as that of the 3CX Phone System server. You will need to wait until the 3CX Phone System administrator approves this request and assigns an extension to your Android device.
3) Approve the 3CXPhone for Android request.
The 3CX Phone System administrator will need to log in to the 3CX Phone System Management console and approve the request. To do this:
- Access the 3CX Phone System Server Management console (http://IP address of 3CX Server:5000/management.
- Click on the “Phones” node on the left hand side
- Right click on the entry and 2 options will be available :
1) “Add Extension” – (This will create a new extension for this Android user) and
2) “Assign existing extension” – This will assign an already existing extension in 3CX for this Android user.
4) Assign an existing extension.
- Click on “Assign an existing extension“.
- A dialog with a list of all available extensions in 3CX Phone System will appear.
- Select an extension for this user. In this example we will select extension 100 – Gareth James.
- Click OK to approve this request.
5) Automatic configuration of 3CXPhone for Android.
- 3CX Phone System will generate the configuration for this user based on the settings of extension 100 and send it to the Android Phone.
- 3CX Phone for Android will receive this information and create an account.
- When this is done, you will be taken to the “Profiles” page in 3CXPhone for Android where you will see your account automatically created and ready for first use. If you tap the account you will see that all the information has been automatically configured. This saves a lot of time from typing Authentication ID and Passwords on a small keyboard and also reduces typing errors.
- Click on the Green button on the left to start using this connection.
3CXPhone for Android is now registered to the 3CX Phone System and is able to make/receive calls.
Note: 3CX Provisioning also configures public IP information details of your 3CX Phone System server. This means that when the users in your company go home or need to work remotely (out of the office), they can simply toggle to out of office mode and 3CXPhone for Android will register remotely to 3CX Phone System. This is done by pressing the HOME or OFFICE button. See below for more information.
Switching Between In and Out of Office
3CXPhone for Android is always configured with the internal IP Address and the external IP Address of your 3CX Phone System server. However, you can toggle between these accounts depending on the location you are in. This is done by a toggle in the main 3CXPhone for Android interface using the “Home” and “Office” icons.
3CXPhone for Android in Out Of Office Mode (HOME)
The Home icon represents Out of Office connectivity.
When you are Out of the Office, 3CXPhone for Android will automatically load the following options to connect with the server:
1) The EXTERNAL PBX IP field will be used for registration and communication.
2) Stun server will be enabled and used.
3) If 3CXTunnel is configured, then this will also be used. For more information, see 3CXPhone for Android with 3CXTunnel.
3CXPhone for Android In Office Mode (OFFICE)
When you are in the office, this means that you are phone is connected to your Work LAN. 3CXPhone for Android will automatically load the following options to connect with the server:
1) The Local PBX IP Address field will be used for registration and communication.
2) Stun will be disabled because it is not needed when connected to the LAN.
3) The 3CX Tunnel will be disabled because NAT issues do not exist in the LAN.