• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Shared Parking SP1 vs *01

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob222

Reaction score
I'm exploring the free version of 3CX, and can't quite figure out the shared parking.

If I park an active call by doing a blind transfer to *01 I can then pick it up on another phone or device by dialing *11. That works like it should. However, when I do this, the automatic callback after 30 seconds to the extension that parked the call does not occur.

If I set up a speed dial on a phone to call "SP1", and park an active call by doing a blind transfer to that speeddial, then the automatic callback does occur. However, I cannot pick up this call at another phone or device by dialing *11.

I thought that SP1 and *11 would be treated the same by the 3CX system. Are they intended to be completely separate, or am I doing something wrong?

Bob

You must pick up the call using SP1 if it is parked using SP1 as they are not interchangeable. They are separate locations.

So this is by design? I was hoping I could program the receptionist phone to park a call using a BLF set to SP1, and then have anyone pick up the call by dialing *11. Can a call be picked up using SP1 with the mobile apps for iphone and android?

This is a workaround that I use but is NOT supported by 3cx (therefor use at your own risk) :

This turns a shared parking orbit (SP1, SP2, etc) into a more functional call park style setup. Calls can be retrieved either by pressing the preprogrammed call park button on the phone or they can dial this code from a phone that doesn't have the button.

set up a fake extension (ie 601)

set to forward all calls to external number of SP1

Then when someone wants to pickup Park 1 (SP1) on a phone that doesn't have a SP1 button, they will call 601.

Thanks! I tried this and it works. This looks like the solution, even if not supported. Maybe someday it will be supported.

Still a mystery to me why 3CX has two independent ways to park/unpark calls. The *01 method works on all devices, but the automatic pickup to automatically unpark calls does not work (at least not for me, maybe it is working for others?). The SP1 method works if it can be pre-programmed on a speed dial or BLF button, but calls parked this way cannot be picked up by devices using 3CXPhone. I'm sure there is a reason for this. I just can't figure out what that might be.

The * is the legacy old school way... atleast in their world.
The SPx came about in v10 or v11 or the software. They left the * version there for users who were already using it would be my guess.

Make sure you turn off Voicemail for the dummy extensions.
And normally I put these in a different "GROUP" called HIDDEN so they do not show up in the 3cx Phone for Windows/Mac default group.

That makes a little more sense.

Thanks for the tips.

Bob

Took me a little bit to figure this out... in version 14 you can accomplish the same thing by programming the fake extension to have a mobile number of SP0 / SP1 ect.

Auto forward to mobile

Then it will transfer to the shared park that the desk phones are configured with BLF's for.

Works well

There will always be outlier issues, usually something like an operator transfers a caller to a parked call.. good training keeps things mitigated.

bob222 said:
Thanks! I tried this and it works. This looks like the solution, even if not supported. Maybe someday it will be supported.

Still a mystery to me why 3CX has two independent ways to park/unpark calls. The *01 method works on all devices, but the automatic pickup to automatically unpark calls does not work (at least not for me, maybe it is working for others?). The SP1 method works if it can be pre-programmed on a speed dial or BLF button, but calls parked this way cannot be picked up by devices using 3CXPhone. I'm sure there is a reason for this. I just can't figure out what that might be.

This is currently not recommended by 3CX because this has a very serious issue that can occur under circumstances. but let me explain with an example:
- External Caller A calls in the system.
- Extension A answers the call and parks the call in SP1 by transferring the call to ext 601.
- While External Caller A is in SP1, External Caller B calls into the system.
- Extension B answers the call and, not knowing there is a call already parked in SP1 (they have now BLF to see it), parks the call in SP1 by transferring the call to ext 601.
- Result: External Caller A will get connected to External Caller B!!!

This is not possible if you are using purely BLF keys to park calls.

• Haha
Reactions: Connexium and mash4
NickD, thanks for sharing that issue. I have been using SP parking at sites with Yealink T4x phones, but now have a site with a few T4x and mostly T23G.

I don't think that I have enough BLF keys on the T23G to use the SP version - or can I? Is there a way to pickup an SP parked call without a BLF?

Tim

Hey Tim,

If I recall the correctly, the T23 only has Line keys and no BLFs. Effectively this means that the T23 would not be able to somehow pickup calls from SPx.

What you could consider however is give the users of the T23 a 3CXPhone for Windows app as well for use in CTI mode, assign the SPx to the BLF keys of the 3CXPhone for Windows, so when a user wants to retrieve a call from SPx, they would press the BLF on the 3CXPhone app which would then (CTI) make the T23 get the call.

I believe this could work.

NickD_3cx That is not a practical solution when you are using portable phones in an install. We need a solution that allows Yealink portables to pick up on SP1 etc.

Cassaia said:
NickD_3cx That is not a practical solution when you are using portable phones in an install. We need a solution that allows Yealink portables to pick up on SP1 etc.

I haven't used any of the Yealink portables, but all other Yealinks allow you to program many of the other buttons, such as the arrow keys, and even conference, hold, mute, etc., to do things when on-hook. So you could possibly set it up so that if they press the right arrow key it speed dials SP1.

You of course can't configure those keys directly in 3CX, unless you get creative with your templates, but if there are just a few phones you are dealing with you could manually configure those keys.

Just an idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.