Backup, Restore & Failover
On this topic
3CX Phone System has an integrated backup and restore functionality, to allow you to:
- Create regular backups.
- Allow for easy upgrades to newer versions of 3CX Phone System.
- Allow hassle-free moving from one machine to another.
- Configure a standby server for fault tolerance.
Backing up your System
To backup your system, you will need to decide where, what and when to backup your PBX.
- Where: Choose between local drive or remote FTP
- What: System configuration, Voice Mail, Recordings etc.
- When: One-off or at scheduled intervals
To take backups, the services will not need to be stopped. Nonetheless we recommend doing it at off peak hours.
Step 1: Choose a Location to Store Backups
3CX will save and restore backups to a central backup location. This backup location can be remote or local. To choose a location to store backups:
- Launch the 3CX Management Console and select the “Backup and Restore” node.
- Click on “Location”, to configure the location for backups. Select the location type and configure accordingly:
- “Local disk” - Click the browse button to choose the location.
- “FTP” - Enter the path to the FTP server and a username and password for the account that has rights to access the FTP folder.
- Click “OK” to save the location.
Any backups that will be created will be stored to this location and shown in the backup repository window. You can then download or delete backups from there.
Step 2: Creating a Backup
To create a backup:
- Go to the “Backup and Restore” node and press the “Backup” button.
- Specify a name for the backup.
- Select the items you would like to backup.
- Click the “Save” button to start the backup immediately. Once the backup completes click “Close”. The new backup details will appear in the backup repository window.
To schedule a backup:
- Go to the “Backup and Restore” node and press the “Backup Schedule” button.
- Choose what to backup and then choose between “Daily” or “Weekly” specifying the time.
- Choose a backup rotation - this is the number of backups to keep before overwriting the oldest. For example, if you choose a weekly backup schedule and a rotation of 4, you will always have 4 backups to restore from, going back 4 weeks.
- Press “Save”, to schedule your backup.
Restoring a Backup
You can restore a backup immediately, in case you wish to move 3CX Phone System to another server or upgrade from an old version. Alternatively you can schedule a restore choosing whether 3CX should start the services after the restore or not. The main purpose of a scheduled restore is to keep a second system on standby with up to date configuration and user data.
TIP: If you have backups from a previous version or another installation you can put them into the location you chose to store your backups. 3CX will recognize them and you will be able to use them and restore them.
Note: Restoring a backup stops all the 3CX Phone System Services.
To perform an immediate restore:
- Click on “Backup & Restore” node, select which backup to restore and click the “Restore” button. A window will open warning you that all the services will be stopped during the restore process. Click “Yes” to restore or “No” to cancel.
- The management console will logout and the restore will proceed. You will then have to log back in once the restore is complete.
A scheduled restore is used for keeping a second server on standby and up to date with the latest data and configuration.To perform a scheduled restore, click on the “Restore Schedule” toolbar button.
- Go to Backup & Restore node, click on the “Restore Schedule” button.
- Select when to start the restore process (Daily or weekly) and at what time.
- Select whether you want to start the 3CX Services after the restore or not.
- The backup that you have scheduled will be restored (called 3CXScheduledBackup.zip). Manually triggered backups are NOT restored automatically.