Installing from ISO: Debian for 3CX
On this topic
If you are not so familiar with Linux or Debian, then you can choose to install from ISO. In this case 3CX will install Debian 8 Jesse for you with the correct options, and subsequently install 3CX as well. You can see a list of things that our modified version of Debian does not ask for below.
Installing Debian for 3CX
To install Debian for 3CX:
- Download the Debian for 3CX ISO from here:
- Select “Install or Graphical install”. Choose Install unless you absolutely require the mouse to get thru the installation steps.
- Now enter a hostname for the computer so you can easily identify it on your network.
- Enter a domain name. If this is a network, use the same domain as you use on other computers in the network, for example company.local.
- Now select the language you wish to install.
- Specify the root password for the machine. This account is the equivalent of the administrator account in Windows.
- Confirm the password you have chosen.
- Partition your disk. Select “Guided - use entire disk”.
- Confirm your disk. If you are installing to a bare metal machine remember that all the data on your disk will be erased!
- Select “All files in one partition”.
- Select “Finish partitioning” and write changes to disk. Debian for 3CX will be installed. This can take about 10-20 minutes depending on your machine speed. After that the machine will be rebooted.
- At restart, 3CX will be installed automatically - you don’t need to login. After the installation is complete you will be asked if you want to run the PBX configurator tool from a web browser or from the command line. Select option 1 to use a web browser, and point your browser to http://<ip of machine>:5015.
- Now you go through the wizard. It will detect your IP, ask whether you are behind a NAT and confirm these options with you. You get to choose a subdomain and admin credentials for your PBX. Afterwards you will be presented with a summary page to login to your PBX. Save it and don’t lose it!! Visit this guide for step by step instructions.
Debian for 3CX installs a minimal install of Debian and does not ask the following questions during configuration steps:
- Keyboard settings
- Network interface is preset to auto
- Wireless configuration
- User account creation skipped (only root)
- Package selection list skipped
- Popularity contest for analytics
- How to install 3CX on Debian
- Running the PBX configurator tool
- Running the 3CX Setup Wizard
- How to test Debian for 3CX on Virtualbox