Yealink Hot Desking with 3CX Phone System
Hot Desking allows multiple employees to share the same IP Phone. For example in a 24 hour call center, multiple agents can share the same desk/IP Phone, at different times of the day. This in turn leads to a more efficient use of office space and equipment.
To configure hot desking for your Yealink IP Phones:
- Step 1: Install Extended Services
- Step 2: Provision extensions for Hot Desking
- Step 3: Switch extensions on the same IP Phone
- 3CX Phone System V14 Single Instance
- Yealink IP Phone T41P,42G,46G,48G with firmware X.73.0.50
Step 1: Installing Extended Service Package
- Download the Extended Service Package
- Extract the ZIP files on the desktop of the 3CX Phone System host machine.
- Launch the install.bat which will only take a few seconds to complete.
- Once the installation has completed, a message box will appear, click ok.
The extracted files will now be automatically deleted.
Step 2: Provisioning Extensions for Hot Desking
- Visit our 3CX Support page and find the provisioning guide for your Yealink phone model. Follow the guide until you reach the “Edit Extension settings” page.
- In the “Model” drop-down menu, instead of the default selected “Yealink XXX” template, choose the “Yealink XXX HotDesk” template. Where where XXX is the model number of your phone. For example: “Yealink T42 HotDesk”.
Note: Each extension participating in Hot Desking, must be provisioned using the “Yealink XXX HotDesk” template. After provisioning the first user, all subsequent users must be provisioned using a fake MAC address in the “MAC Address” field. This can be any 12 digit numeric string, for example: 012345678901
The first extension that is provisioned will be logged in and ready to use.
Step 3: Switch Extensions on the Same IP Phone
The “Line 3” button on the phone will be used as the logoff and key. Once pressed, the ID on the phone will be removed and a logon screen will be presented to the user.
- Enter the Extension Number (default numeric input).
- Enter the Extension Password (default alphabetic input).
- Press “Save” or “OK” to logon.
Note: On a Yealink T42, enter the extension number then press the “Down Arrow” button in order to see the “Password” field, enter the extensions password and press “Save”.
- After logon, extensions will receive their individual BLF key setup and their name/logo on the screen. Also the IP Phone web interface password will be changed to the password configured for the active user after they login.
Technical Information / Restoring Functionality
In case changes for a hot desking phone do not appear correct (the phones MAC address is in the provisioning tab) the phone has to be rebooted. The reason is that the web password for the phone itself is overwritten by the 3CX Management Console causing mismatches to the currently running web password that is taken from the logged on extension. An indicator for this can be seen on the phone after the user logs in - the display shows (ext@pbxip:port ) and not the full user name / logo as set in the management console. In this case reboot the phone from the device itself by holding down the “X” then pressing “OK” when prompted.
Limitations and general notes
- Hot Desking can be only used in office mode (LAN).
- Firmware updates must be downloaded on one HotDesking Extension once and will be automatically applied to all phones of the same model running in hot desking mode.
- BLF keys only use Line Keys and not Memory or EXP keys.
- Call History can not restored on the phone. To see call history use 3CXPhone.
SSO functionality can not be provided due to a phone limitation in the logon process.