• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Documentation for 3CX soft phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowan.bradley

Reaction score
I've just installed the latest version of the 3CX softphone for Windows, which I want to use with an external SIP provider (not with the 3CX PABX). I can't make head nor tail of the user interface (although I can make a call by just dialling the number). Where is there some documentation on what all those buttons mean, how to call one of my Outlook contacts etc.?

Thanks - Rowan

Thanks for your reply. I've read these pages, but I still don't understand:
  • What does the icon with the handset and the two arrows do?
  • What does the U shaped arrow do?
  • What does the icon with the person do?
  • Presumably the icon with the rolls of tape is the Record button, but the help pages don't seem to say so (or I didn't find where they said it)
  • What does the icon with the handset and the envelope do?
  • I guess that the microphone crossed out is a "mute" button, but the help pages didn't seem to say so
  • What do the row of little buttons (if that's what they are) just above the Line buttons do? They say H, M, R, TNL and "envelope"
  • How do I call someone in my Outlook address book?
  • Are there any other functions that are not obvious from the buttons on the phone?
Where are these things documented?

Thanks - Rowan

If you click on each of the buttons, it will become rather obvious as to their function...

rowan.bradley said:
# What does the icon with the handset and the two arrows do? Call History
# What does the U shaped arrow do? Missed Call List
# What does the icon with the person do? Your Phone Book
# Presumably the icon with the rolls of tape is the Record button, but the help pages don't seem to say so (or I didn't find where they said it) Call Recording Options
# What does the icon with the handset and the envelope do? Calls your Voicemail, once you have input the VM number
# I guess that the microphone crossed out is a "mute" button, but the help pages didn't seem to say so Sort of obvious, isn't it?
# What do the row of little buttons (if that's what they are) just above the Line buttons do? They say H, M, R, TNL and "envelope
They are indicators to let you know what method/profile you are using for a connection, Home , Roam, Tunnel.....
"

Have you used the phone with a working provider?

Thanks - very useful reply. I'm still puzzled about why none of this stuff seems to be in any documentation...

leejor said:
Have you used the phone with a working provider?
Yes, it works with SIPgate, if I type in the number. What I need though is to be able to use my Outlook contacts. I have over 1000 of them so I'm not going to re-enter them all into some different address book. The 3CX web site says in several places that this is possible, but I can't see how. Will 3CXphone do it by itself? Do I have to use 3CX Assistant to do it? If so, how do I set it up so it will work with SIPgate without needing an internal 3CX server? Or do I have to install the 3CX PABX (total overkill, since it's just me, on my own, with one phone, working at my desk)?

I hope someone can help me crack this!

Thanks - Rowan

Two additional question on the 3CX soft phone:

- How do I modify Phonebook entries? When I click on a name it dials the person automatically. I see no option to modify the phone number.
- How do I assign numbers to softkeys? I'm asked for a user ID and label when setting these up. How do I know the user ID of a contact in my Phonebook?

Thanks!

Patrick

patricknewyork said:
Two additional question on the 3CX soft phone:

- How do I modify Phonebook entries? When I click on a name it dials the person automatically. I see no option to modify the phone number.
- How do I assign numbers to softkeys? I'm asked for a user ID and label when setting these up. How do I know the user ID of a contact in my Phonebook?

Thanks!

Patrick

Hi Patrick
- To edit phonebook entry, click the image (yes, I know, it's quite hidden and not obvious, in the future we plan to add an explicit "edit" button). Then, if you want to change the image, click on if (again, not so obvious). To edit various fields, click on them.
- The softkeys' "user ID" is the number, or extension you know. Therefore, if you have a phonebook contact having phone 101, you will set the softkey's "user id" as 101. Now, about BLF/XFer and Speeddial: use BLF/XFer for only for extensions - that's because PBX knows extensions status. Use speeddials for, let's say, external numbers, such as mobile phones; you may set them as BLF/Xfer, but they always will remain "green".

Regards
vali

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damiano giannini
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.