• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Outbound rule logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunstate

Reaction score
Question about how outbound rules are handled. First, the setup (let's assume v10):

5j603.jpg

Everyone at the main site will be in extension group A, and everyone at the remote site extension group B.

As far as group A goes, I want all their calls (local, long distance, and 911) to go out the PRI. Group B, I want all their local and long distance to go out the PRI, and 911 to go out the POTS line at the remote site (Cisco SPA3102). This is how I think the rules should be:

Rule 1 - Calls with a length of 3,7,10-15 AND from group A go out the PRI.
Rule 2 - Calls with a length of 3 AND from group B go out the POTS line at the remote site.
Rule 3 - Calls with a length of 7,10-15 AND from group B go out the PRI.

Is that right? Or am I thinking of this totally wrong?

Thanks.

I'm going to make some assumptions, both groups are in the same calling area, so outbound calling from group B over the PRI to local numbers is no issue, and, you don't use any access prefix.

If those are both the case, then the only issue I can see is your rule 2. I would specify 911, not just any 3 digit number, otherwise you will send all 3 digit numbers (311,411,611, etc.) out over the PSTN line as well. I would assume that you would want them going out over the PRI.

I put the most important rule first, So
Rule 1. Calls to 911 (and any other Emergency number such as 112) and from Group B go out on the POTS line
Rule 2. all other calls go out on the PRI

I'm not sure I'd consider any other N11 call to be an emergency that is worth tying up your one 911 link with. If that PSTN is the only route for 911 from that site then I would leave it available for that purpose and not send directory (411) or repair (611) calls. You could route 911 as a second choice over the PRI to be sure that 911 calls were never blocked, but still using the PSTN for the first choice. They would have to explain to the operator their correct location. If there was a emergency and someone was using the only route out calling directory assistance trying to get a phone number when there was an emergency, and they couldn't get out, well...

Gotcha, that makes sense. And yes they are both in the same area code. So like this?

Rule 1 - Calls starting with 911 AND from extensions 2000-2999 go out the POTS line at the remote site (strip 0, prepend nothing)
Rule 1 - Calls starting with 911 AND from extensions 1000-1999 go out the PRI (strip 0, prepend nothing)
Rule 2 - Calls with a length of 3,7,10-15 AND from extensions 1000-2999 go out the PRI (strip 0, prepend nothing)

I changed them from extension groups to specifying the extensions manually. I think that would be better just in case down the road they create a new extension and forget to put it into the group.

I guess I wasn't sure if when creating a rule and you specify more than one thing (calls from extensions AND calls starting with) that both bits get applied. I just wanted to make sure that in my Rule 1 that only extension 2000-2999's calls would go out the POTS and not both 1000-1999 and 2000-2999's 911 calls.

When you specify extension numbers in the outbound rules then that rule should apply to those extensions only, when none are specified then it applies to all, at least, that's how I've used it.

I do believe that outbound rules are applied in the order that they are programmed in. if the call/extension does not match the first rule it will look at the second and so one. and I agree a blank extension field matches all were an entry only matches that range.

I agree, a blank "Calls from extension(s)" indicates all extensions. I also agree that the rules are applied in order (you can move them up and down in the list accordingly). But like I said before, my concern was that if two or more of the options within a rule are specified, do they all get applied?

e1Iex.jpg

hRSKh.jpg

If your rules are in that order, then (and I'm going to make a logical assumption), the first rule that applies, would be used. In other words, if an extension in the range of 2000 to 2999 made a 911 call, then the first rule would apply. If the extension was 1999 but part of Group B, then the second rule. You can't have all rules apply, it is only one call, it can't go two places at once. Once 3CX goes down the list and "hits" a rule that applies, then it should, look no further. That is why you can move the rules up and down. 3CX can't look over all of the rules, at once, that might apply ,and then try to make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yparker0320
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.