• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Successful First Implementation - GrandStream HT-503

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychlist1972

Reaction score
FWIW, my bits arrived early. I spent the evening doing the config. Pretty successful considering I've never even touched anything with VOIP until this week :)

Using the HT-503 and 3CXPhone softphone, I was able to make an accept calls. (If anyone else gets one, the HandyTone 503 setup is basically the same as the HT-488.)

I was also able to make a call using the Linksys WIP300 (btw, that is the cheapest feeling phone I've ever had in my hands, and the battery cover is loose enough to slide off in normal use. this one may be going back. TBD)

I have one issue with caller ID (shows up as the extension assigned to the gateway rather than the number of the caller), and the PSTN-side of the calls is really low volume-wise, but I'll look into that Thursday/Friday. I also haven't done any stress testing. I did have a call get "stuck" (line wasn't in use according to the gateway or my ear-test, but 3cx insisted that it was) and require restarting the 3cx service, but I have no idea what caused that.

I have an email in to GrandStream about the latest firmware as well as the ineffectualness of the gain settings in the 503.

The 3cx site (or some router between me and the 3cx site) was down most of tonight, so I'll check the forums for any tips later.

Pete

That is what you get when you use a Grandstream (Just kidding).

ON your gateway settings, go to other options and select

Caller-ID is in 'user' part of (one of following): 'From' field

That is most of the time enough, have a play with those settings and you should be able to get the CLID.

CLID is bellcore and DTMF, if you do not have belcore I am not sure if it will work than.

In general the CLID is presented when you are 3-4 seconds into the call progress and it is presented using DTMF.

Have a look for those settings in your GrandStream, you might pickup the line to quick and therefore the CLID is not pushed through quick enough.

Caller ID issue

itfarmer said:
That is most of the time enough, have a play with those settings and you should be able to get the CLID.

CLID is bellcore and DTMF, if you do not have belcore I am not sure if it will work than.

In general the CLID is presented when you are 3-4 seconds into the call progress and it is presented using DTMF.

Thanks. I hooked up a sniffer (ethereal) on the 3cx box and found that the expected callerid is not anywhere in the sip INVITE message header. That narrows down my focus to the 503. The From section of the INVTE SIP message is:

10000 is the extension set up in 3CX and the "unconditional forward to VOIP" in the grandstream. That is what ends up showing in the caller ID on my phones right now. (I set UserID is phone number to "NO" thinking that was the issue, but it wasn't)

I live in Maryland in the US. I assume that the "Bellcore/Telcordia" standard is what I want to use. Regular old cheapo callerID phones pick up caller ID on the pstn line, so I know that works.

The 503 has the following options on the FXO page in the block where caller ID is (seems similar to other Grandstream products):

Caller ID Scheme: (several choices including a Bellcore/Telcordia option)
Minimum RX Level (dB): -15 (-96 to 0db, default -15db)
Hook Flash Timing: min 300, max 1100 (in 40-2000 ms range)
Gain: TX: 0db, RX: 0db

I also have the Number of Rings before the FXO picks up set to 4, the default. I have tried 1, 3, 4 and 6.

I know this is a new box, and not an officially supported one (or the one you recommended <g>), so I plan to take up most of the questions with Grandstream themselves. However, if you (or anyone else) see anything obvious, please let me know.

Thanks.

Pete

There are some serious grandstream users on this forum, so they will help you allong.

We do not have one yet, it is in the planning especially the video feature i have seen somewhere. (still trying to figure out what that is).

But we will not look at grandstream before next year atm.

Spoke too soon

I spoke too soon on the success.

Using the out-of-the-box firmware (1.0.0.5), I was able to get everything except Caller ID and the gain controls to work.

I've been working with them to fix these problems, and am up to 1.0.0.9 firmware. At this point, I still do not have caller ID, and the gain controls still do nothing, but I also am unable to make any outgoing calls. 3CX sends it to the gateway just fine, according to the debug messages from the gateway, it sends it out through the FXO, but for some reason, it just tanks there. The problem is definitely in the gateway, in the latest firmware.

He also pointed out some other potential limiations. For example, even though I am only using the FXO, he said I do need to have the FXS set up and registered, and set to ring, or else the FXO may not pass some things through correctly. That seemed silly for a device that is sitting on a computer rack.

Just an update should anyone else consider getting this. I'm about to throw in the towel and go with the Linksys, as much as I dislike that company. I'm still working with GrandStream (the person working with me has tried to help me out and has been pleasant)

As an aside, when the grandstream picks up (after several rings so callerid theoretically has time to come through) the person dialing in hears the phone bounce for a second before it rings again (a quick on-hook/hangup tone). Is that normal on the other gateways like the SPA3102? It's confusing and annoying.

Pete

Quick update on the HT503 implementation: I am now able to make outbound calls. The problem was with the "current disconnect". The FXO has the ability to detect a dropped call by a drop in voltage or current (I forget which). Anyway, it goes by a time, which is defaulted at 100ms.

My line must be crappy enough that 100ms drops the call right away, and doesn't allow me to dial out. Changing it to 500ms made it so I could dial out. I double and triple checked, and this was definitely the problem.

Still working on caller ID and the volume issue.

Pete

Hey Pete,

Did you ever get the caller id to work with the extension? I bought the 503 encouraged by your implementation :) Am not really going to use this for anything important...just for fun...I'll post a mesg on ur website too...pls do answer, if you happen to see this.

Thanks
Sunit Mathur
(315) 849-3442

I resolved the callerid issue for the HT503

Here are the steps to make it work:

On FXO tab

Set "User ID is phone number" to No
Set "Number of Rings" to 2 or greater

That's it!

Hope it works for you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murad88
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.