• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Server specification of 60+ IP Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

eakasit

Reaction score
I would like to set up system for our customer as hardware detail.Could you help me recommend the server specfication for handle it and help me comment about our selection.
1. 60 IP Hardphone(Linksys SPA962 x 60)
2. 10 IP Softphone (X-Lite x 10)
3. 10 Analog Phone (Linksys SPA2102 x5)
4. 2 Analog Fax (Linksys SPA2102 x1)
5. 20 analog PSTN line connect (Linksys SPA400)
6. 3CX Enterprise Edition

I am a new comer for this system.Could you please help.

The bigger the better, but the recommended specification will do just fine.

Your bigges issue is going to be the transport layer.

Can you provide some more info, for example:

- concurrent calls
- geopgrahical location of the phones and server (eg same building, floor etc).
- Country you are in (If you are in AU ill speck it out for you but I think you should try to get a 3cx partner contacting you hence the question for country).

just to name a few.

General note:
I know everybody is happy to help, and that is good.
But this is a typical pre-sales question. We all can answer it for sure, this much ram, this much cpu etc but i think it is better that a "local" partner gets involved in this to do a bit pre-sales work and proper specking and planning.
A configuration like this, although easy to configure, can be a bit fiddly and needs a bit of planning, hence local support is recommended.
That is just my view on the world.

Itfarmer, you the best :D

I would say the same. Contact a reseller they will be able to help you.

I'm based in the netherlands if you need help there.

Thanks sir,I would like to be reseller in our country.My country don't have.But I will present to our customer in a few day. I would like to make sure hardware first then hope 3cx should help me after I am purchase product.

well i would not be concerned about the server hardware,

any high end server (intel xeon, 1gb ram 100, gigabit network) shouldbe capable of running your phonesystem as specified.

The thing i think you should worry about it the bandwith you have and the number of concurrent calls that will be going on.

Every call requires a certain ammount of bandwith.

Also if the internet is shared between phone AND normal internet traffic you might have jitters in the audio, since there might not be enough bandwith available.

At a customer here i have 2 internet ADSL accounts. One for web/mail etc. and one just for the VOIP.
The handy thing from this configuration is that you have a easy fall back.

If the isp of VOIP goes down i can reroute the VOIP traffic through the other isp and visa versa.

For a bussiness from this size i would recommen to go with a seperate internet connection for the VOIP.

ps, im not sure if 3cx support fax.. i thought it didn't but not sure, maybe 3cx team can confirm this.

If you have more questions you can contact me at doorstep(at)zonnet(dot)nl

No question that bandwidth is going to be your biggest issue. DaKhalli has a great point with the redundant circuits, however I think you will need more than xDSL for what you are talking about.

Thank you DaKhalli for good point answer. Our customer went to me to make new PBX system replace the old one (Digital PBX). This system scope in internal location in same country and a few person work at home. Them away call via PSTN circuit and Cell phone Module. But I will inform them about this weak point.

I perfere this system for them decision.I hope this good solution for customers business,I would like to make the best system for them.

at the end of the day it comes down to how many concurrent calls (external) your customer wants to make.

Also due to the large amount ATA's involved you really have to think about how you going to do this on your network.

Anyway it comes back to my original questions:

- concurrent calls
- geopgrahical location of the phones and server (eg same building, floor etc).
- Country you are in (If you are in AU ill speck it out for you but I think you should try to get a 3cx partner contacting you hence the question for country).

Gotta know that before any of us can make a reasonable recommondation. Like DaKhali said, (intel xeon, 1gb ram 100, gigabit network) will do just fine if you have all 60 extensions going at the same time.

To help you becomming a partner or even to spec this for your customer you need to give us some figures.

itfarmer: the ammount of ata's really doesnt matter, just a matter of sub-netting correctly.

I can have 10k atas and still have a seperate network etc.

Only points there is again the bandwith issue, also local lan will suffer from bandwith problems. (e.g. some1 decides to put his pst file (of size 2GB) on a fileserver now theres an impact.

Introducing Qqs on such size network is what i would do, so you know the audio alsways is gonna be 100%.

But as ITFarmer said, it comes down to the three points he mentioned.

Re ATA, sort of agree, but it does matter even on a sperate network.

Ok here are the maths.

Using G711 (or PCM)
40 milisec packet (eg 320 Samples) (the higher the packet duriation the lower the bandwidth kpbs)
20 Calls Concurrent
1M pipe (lets say 1000 kbps)

So max at anyone time will be 13 calls, this means that 41 of every 100 calls will be dropped.

What is needed for 20 concurrent calls and no (or almost none) drops?
2520 kbps. That will give you 35 Voice paths.

Here are the numbers for 1 call (its been asked before I believe).

G.711 (PCM) 64kbps uncompressed 10 milliseconds (80 samples) 96 kbps
G.711 (PCM) 64kbps uncompressed 20 milliseconds (160 samples) 80 kbps
G.711 (PCM) 64kbps uncompressed 30 milliseconds (240 samples) 75 kbps
G.711 (PCM) 64kbps uncompressed 40 milliseconds (320 samples) 72 kbps
G.711 (PCM) 64kbps uncompressed 80 milliseconds (640 samples) 68 kbps
Ref: http://www.snom.com/wiki/index.php/Bandwidth_requirements_and_QoS

ooh mighty sultan :D

you seem to know everything huh itfarmer :D

but nice, now i have an estimate aswel :D on bandwith usage.

Would not say I know it all, but for sure Ill have a good stab at it.

Dakhalli,

DaKhalli said:
ps, im not sure if 3cx support fax.. i thought it didn't but not sure, maybe 3cx team can confirm this.

At the moment 3CX Phonesystem does not support Fax however it's a future feature that will be implemented and currently WIP.

Seperating VoIP network from that of everyday internet/mail is the best idea in a situation like this. I like your calculations Henk. It is the best way to go when restructuring or implementing any network (Voice in this case).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinalsa
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.