How to configure CISCO SPA Series for 3CX
Supported Models: Cisco SPA 302, 303, 501G, 502G, 504G, 508G, 509G, 512G, 514G, 525G, 525G2
Legacy phone support has been implemented to allow easy migration from an existing phone system to 3CX without the need to directly replace all existing IP phones. It is strongly recommended not to purposely buy these devices new or as a replacement. Legacy phone devices have a limited feature set and can only be supported up to a certain point by the 3CX Support Team - you may well need to contact vendor support directly for some matters. In this guide:
Step 1: Download Firmware & Copy to Provisioning Directory
These phones have been tested with 3CX Phone System V15 SP1 with the following firmware only:
- Cisco SPA 302 - Firmware 7.6.1
- Cisco SPA 303 - Firmware 7.6.1
- Cisco SPA 501G - Firmware 7.6.1 (Optional with SideCar SPA-500S)
- Cisco SPA 502G - Firmware 7.6.1 (Optional with SideCar SPA-500S)
- Cisco SPA 504G - Firmware 7.6.1 (Optional with SideCar SPA-500S)
- Cisco SPA 508G - Firmware 7.6.1 (Optional with SideCar SPA-500S)
- Cisco SPA 509G - Firmware 7.6.1 (Optional with SideCar SPA-500S)
- Cisco SPA 512G - Firmware 7.6.1 (Optional with SideCar SPA-500DS)
- Cisco SPA 514G - Firmware 7.6.1 (Optional with SideCar SPA-500DS)
- Cisco SPA 525G - Firmware 7.6.1 (Optional with SideCar SPA-500DS)
- Cisco SPA 525G2 - Firmware 7.6.1 (Optional with SideCar SPA-500DS)
In case the defined version of the firmware is not installed, manually update the firmware before proceeding. When upgrading a Cisco SPA50X or Cisco SPA30X IP phone firmware version prior to 7.5.2b, you must first upgrade to 7.5.2b before you upgrade to 7.6.1.
- Download the Cisco SPA support files.
- Find the provisioning folder of your 3CX Install – by default it is something like:
Where XXXXXX is the randomly generated folder name of 8 to 12 characters.
- Place the content of the zip into this folder.
Step 2: Factory Reset the IP Phone
Before provisioning the IP phone, the phone must be brought back to factory defaults in case the device has residual settings of a previous configuration. To reset the device follow this blog post on how to factory reset Cisco SPA IP phones.
Step 3: Configure the phone in 3CX
- Log in to your 3CX Management Console ⇒ Phone note ⇒ and press “Add Phone” and from the extension list select to which the IP phone shall be assigned
- Select the device Vendor/Model and enter Mac address of the device which can be found on the back of the device itself and select the corresponding model type.
- Optional settings include the phone’s “Display Language”, ‘Time Zone” and, if applicable, the network card interface in case the server has more than one IP address to which the phone shall be configured.
- Take a note of the “Provisioning Link” URL
- Press “OK” to save the configuration.
Step 4: Set the provisioning link using DHCP Option 66
Now the phone needs to know where to pick up the firmware files and configuration information. The best way to do this is by setting option 66 in your DHCP server. If you do not have a configurable DHCP Server you can manually configure the link as explained here.
If using a configurable DHCP server:
- Follow this guide: how to configure a phone using DHCP Option 66.
- When requested to, enter the string value taken in Step 5 in this format and append /$MA.xml
e.g. http://pbx.mybusiness.local/provisioning/pc56bscs195k/$MA.xml - where the FQDN resolves to the IP of your phone system.
BLF Function Keys on Your Cisco SPA 5 Series IP Phone
On Cisco SPA the first two BLF keys are reserved as “Line” keys. The first assigned BLF key will appear on the 3rd available position of the IP phone. In the case that a sidecar is used, the handset’s own BLF keys are all set to Line keys.
If you use the SPA 500DS, skip the provisioning of the BLF keys 31 & 32 as they are not available for this device.
Known limitations of Cisco SPA 302, 303, 501G, 502G, 504G, 508G, 509G, 512G, 514G, 525G, 525G2 are:
- No PnP Support
- No STUN Support
- No SBC Support
- No Full CTI Support (Make Call Only)
- BLF Functionality (only on applicable models)
- Company Phone Book with limited size only
- Manual DST Support
- Aastra 67i Series
- Cisco 79XX Series
- Gigaset N510
- Panasonic KX-TGP500B01
- Polycom 301, 501, 600, 601 & 4000
- Polycom 320 & 330
- Polycom 321, 331, 335, 450, 550, 560, 650 & 670
- Polycom 5000, 6000, 7000
- Polycom VVX 101, 201, 300, 301, 311, 400, 401, 410, 411, 500, 501, 600, 601
- Yealink VP530
- Configuring & Managing IP Phones & Endpoints