How to configure Grandstream GXP for 3CX
Supported Models: Grandstream GXP 1160, 1165, 1400, 1405, 1450, 2100, 2110, 2120, 2124
Legacy phone support has been implemented to allow easy migration from an existing phone system to 3CX without the need to directly replace all existing IP Phones. It is strongly recommended not to purposely buy those devices new or as a replacement. Legacy phone devices have a limited feature set and can only be supported up to a certain point by the 3CX Support Team - you may well need to contact vendor support directly for some matters. In this guide:
Step 1: Download Firmware & Copy to Provisioning Directory
These phones have been tested with 3CX Phone System V15 SP1 with the following firmware only:
- Grandstream GXP-1160 - Firmware 126.96.36.199
- Grandstream GXP-1165 - Firmware 188.8.131.52
- Grandstream GXP-1400 - Firmware 184.108.40.206
- Grandstream GXP-1405 - Firmware 220.127.116.11
- Grandstream GXP-1450 - Firmware 18.104.22.168
- Grandstream GXP-2100 - Firmware 22.214.171.124
- Grandstream GXP-2110 - Firmware 126.96.36.199
- Grandstream GXP-2120 - Firmware 188.8.131.52
- Grandstream GXP-2124 - Firmware 184.108.40.206
Therefore you need to ensure that the phones are running this firmware. To do this:
- Download the Grandstream GXP support files.
- Find the provisioning folder of your 3CX Install – by default it is something like:
Where XXXXXX is the randomly generated folder name of 8 to 12 characters.
- Place the firmwares into this folder.
Step 2: Factory Reset the IP Phone
Before provisioning the IP phone, the phone must be brought back to factory defaults, in case the device has residual settings of a previous configuration. To reset the device follow this blog post on how to factory reset Grandstream ip phones.
Step 3: Configure the phone in 3CX
In case your 3CX Phone System does not run on SIP port 5060, or the phone is not located within the same local LAN subnet, read our guide on how to manually provision your Grandstream here.
- Connect the phone to the network. It will send a PNP request to 3CX.
- Now go to the 3CX Management Console -> Phones node -> the phone should be listed.
- Single click on the BOLD entry and choose ‘Assign Ext’ or ‘Add Ext’ depending on whether you want to assign the phone to an existing extension or create a new one.
- All major provisioning settings are pre-populated. If your 3CX has multiple network cards, select to which network this IP Phone is connected. Optional settings include the base “Time Zone”.
- Finish the extension setup configuration.
- Upon the “OK” of the extension configuration the phone will be auto provisioned!
Known limitations of Grandstream GXP are:
- No STUN Support
- No SBC Support
- No direct UI access
- Old Provisioning files in “provsubdir” must deleted if coming from v14 if not the phone will read old configuration files
- Aastra 67i Series
- Cisco 79XX Series
- Cisco SPA
- Gigaset N510
- Panasonic KX-TGP500B01
- Polycom 301, 501, 600, 601 & 4000
- Polycom 320 & 330
- Polycom 321, 331, 335, 450, 550, 560, 650 & 670
- Polycom 5000, 6000, 7000
- Polycom VVX 101, 201, 300, 301, 311, 400, 401, 410, 411, 500, 501, 600, 601
- Yealink VP530
- Configuring & Managing IP Phones & Endpoints