Making Calls Using Hot Keys
On this topic
Hot Keys allow you to use a key or a combination of keys on a computer keyboard to control the 3CX client. Using the Hot Key feature, you can make, answer, decline, transfer, place calls on hold or divert them to voicemail. For example, you will not have to open the client in order to press the Answer button; you can answer the call just by pressing the Shift + A combination on your keyboard.
Important: Do not use Hot Key combinations that are used for your Windows system, you will not be able to use them both at the same time.
Configuring Hot Keys
- Click the “Gears” button to access “Settings.”
- Click on “Hot Keys.”
- By default the Hot Keys functionality is not enabled. Click on the Hot Key you want to enable and check “Enable keyboard shortcut.”
- Select the key combination that will serve as your Hot Key. You can combine Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys along with letters and numbers. Note: Letters, numbers and special function keys (insert, delete, page up, page down and others) have to be combined with Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys in order to create a Hot Key. F1 - F12 keys do not have this limitation.
- Click “OK” to save.
Making a Call Using the “Copy numbers from clipboard” Hot Key
- Open a web page, text document or any other file and highlight the number that you want to dial.
- In this example we selected Shift+V to serve as the Hot Key. Press “Shift+V” and the number will be copied automatically on your client’s dial-pad screen.
- Click the “Call” button to dial the number.
Making a call using the Hot Key (Mac)
If you are using the 3CX client for Mac then you can initiate a call by:
- Highlighting the number you want to call.
- Press Cmd + 3 on your keyboard.
- The 3CX client for Mac will open and your call will be initiated once you click on the call button.
Note: This Hot Key is hardcoded and cannot be disabled.
- Making calls with a 3CX client – Use your softphone to make calls.
- Transferring calls with a 3CX client – Performing Blind or Attended transfers.
- Managing your voicemail – Use any IP phone to manage your messages.