Installing the 3CX Client for Windows
On this topic
The 3CX client for Windows allows you to work from anywhere and manage your calls from your computer. With just a few mouse clicks you can easily launch and transfer calls, create audio and video conferences, view the presence of your colleagues, work remotely and much more. The 3CX client for Windows installation is ever so easy! There’s no need to call your IT Administrator to come and help you. Just follow the instructions below and you’ll be up and running in no time.
The 3CX client for Windows is supported on the following Windows (64-bit) versions :
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- Microsoft .Net 4.5.2
Installing the 3CX Client for Windows
- Download the latest version of the 3CX Client for Windows.
- Open the Setup Wizard to begin the installation.
- Select the option “I accept the terms in the Licence Agreement” to proceed.
- Leave the default installation path, click “Next” and then “Install.”
- A message will appear informing you that the installation has been successful.
- Now you need to configure the client. To do this, double-click on the configuration file attached to your 3CX Welcome Email. Note: This email was sent to you when your extension was created. If you cannot find it, please ask your administrator to resend it. Once configuration is complete, you will see the Available status on the left upper corner and On Hook in the dial screen. You can now start making calls.
Following the configuration completion, your client will start in one of two modes:
- CTI mode: Control your deskphone from your desktop using the client. You can make and receive calls on your deskphone as well as remotely initiate, transfer and create conference calls (an IP Phone is needed).
- Softphone mode: Make and receive calls on your computer (no IP Phone is needed).
If you have an IP Phone, then you will be able to toggle between the two modes. To change between the two modes click the icons highlighted in the images above and choose the desired mode.
When switching to CTI mode, if the message below appears, contact your administrator.
Once the installation and provisioning is completed you can personalize your 3CX client by clicking on the Settings icon. In this section, you can set your forwarding rules, audio and video options or even change your theme. Let’s have a closer look at the options provided below:
- Call Forwarding: Configure your forwarding rules. Is your mother calling you for the 3rd time? Just set a forwarding rule for her number to be automatically forwarded to your voicemail and call her back later. For more information and details read the Forwarding Rules chapter.
- Configure Accounts:
- From within this option, you can select which extension you are going to use (active), in case you have more than one provisioned.
- Double click on the account in order to access the account details and Advanced Settings. IMPORTANT: Do not modify these settings unless you are advised to do so by your administrator.
- Recordings: Record a conversation or conference and manage your recordings. No one can tell you that there was a miscommunication once you play back the recording. For more information, read the Recording chapter.
- Audio Options: From here you can specify your Audio options and devices. Usually the default settings are exactly what you need but in case you need to change something, here’s how:
- Audio Options provides you with 3 choices:
- Echo cancellation: When enabled, it will minimize any echo heard during calls
- Silence Detection: When enabled, 3CX client will conserve bandwidth by not sending data when detecting silence. This might impede quality when enabled.
- Microphone Gain: If the other party cannot hear you clearly, you can increase your microphone gain to amplify the volume of your voice.
- Audio Devices are set by default to “Primary Sound Driver.”
- Microphone: Select the microphone from which the 3CX Client will receive the audio.
- Speaker: Select the device you will be using to hear.
- Ringing: Select the destination from which you will hear the 3CX Client ringing.
- Video Options: From here you can specify your Video options and devices. In particular:
- Video Options:
- Enable Video: Select whether you want the video to be enabled or not.
- Video Resolution: Select from the drop down menu the optimal resolution for your video.
- Frames per sec: Select from the drop down menu how many frames per second you would like to record.
- Bandwidth: You can select the desired bandwidth usage regardless of the frames per sec. This will solve all issues arising when increasing your frame rate. Automatically the bandwidth used by Video increases as does the load placed on your Internet connection. Even if your camera supports a high frame rate, your connection speed may prevent you from sending or receiving video at a high frame rate.
- Video Devices: Select which camera you want to use in case you have more than one installed.
- Hot Keys: The Hot Key functionality allows you to use pre-defined keyboard shortcuts for controlling your 3CX Client. How cool would be to be able to answer your phone just by pressing Alt + A on your keyboard? For more information on how to use and set up this functionality read our Making Calls Using Hot Keys chapter.
- Advanced Settings: From here you are prompted to:
- Behavior: Gives you 3 additional features:
- Focus: If enabled, the 3CX client will pop up in front of whatever application you are using when an incoming call is received.
- Transfers using Drag and Drop: You can select the default transfer method when you Drag and Drop an active call.
- External Application: This option is used to enable and control communication between the 3CX Client and 3rd party applications. Find out more on 3CX Application Partners.
- Language: Select one of the 15 languages in which your 3CX Client interface will be displayed. The application must be restarted for the changes to take affect.
- Auto Answer: When enabled the incoming calls will be automatically answered by the client. This is available only in Softphone mode.
- Integration: CRM Integration gives you the ability to use your CRM system seamlessly with the 3CX Client. There’s no need to have your 3CX client and CRM system running simultaneously. We have more than 10 application integrations available right now with many more to follow. Find out more on how to enable and use this functionality here.
- About: Find out which version is being used.
- Themes: You can choose your between the following themes: Black, White, 3CX Grey and Default. Moreover, you can “Set your Custom Image (270x80 pixels)” to appear on your client. The image is automatically resized.
- Re-register: If your client is having difficulties connecting to your PBX or is not registering, you can select this option to automatically re-provision the 3CX Client.
- Request Welcome Email: This option is useful in case you cannot find the original Welcome Email and you want to retrieve information such as your voicemail number, PIN or other useful information provided within the e-mail.
- Import Contacts: How to import contacts from integrated accounts such Office 365 or Google. Read the Using the phonebook chapter for more details and information.
- Exit Client
Working quickly and efficiently is a top priority in all companies. Everyone using a PC or smartphone creates a quick menu or shortcuts of the features we use mostly. The 3CX Client for Windows offers just that. The available features included cannot be changed nor modified:
- Add contact
- Start a Webmeeting
- Show BLF side panel
- User View
- Receptionist View
- Q-Manager View
- Manager View
- Wallboard View
- Configure Accounts
- Audio Options
- Request Welcome Email
- List with the 5 main sections of the User Manual
- Exit Client
All of the above features are extensively covered in the “Settings” section of this document, or in the respective chapters of the User Manual.