We release two types of updates for 3CX Phone System: Service Packs and Version Upgrades.
Service Pack Updates
Check if you’re up to date with the latest 3CX Phone System service packs by going to your 3CX Management Console, then “3CX Phone System Updates” > “3CX Service Packs/Updates”. Select the service pack that you would like to upgrade to and select “Download Selected”. The service pack is automatically downloaded and installed.
- A service pack update might require a restart of the 3CX Services.
- A service pack update generally takes less than a minute to be installed.
- You cannot skip service packs. For instance, if service pack 5 is the latest service pack for your version of 3CX Phone System but you happen to have service pack 3 installed, you’ll need to install service pack 4 prior to installing service pack 5.
If you need to upgrade to the latest version of 3CX Phone System, you will need to perform the following:
- Backup your existing PBX configuration using the Backup and Restore tool, which can be accessed from the 3CX Program Group. If you would like to retain the Call History in the new version, you should select to include this in the backup. During the uninstallation, you will have the option to retain the other data (which includes Voice Prompts, Music on Hold, Voice Mail and the contents of the firmware folder)
- After backing up the data, proceed with uninstalling your current version of 3CX Phone System. This can be done from the “Add/Remove Programs” or “Programs and Features” control panel. Right click on 3CX Phone System, and select to uninstall. During the uninstall, you will be asked if you want to remove the 3CX Phone System Application Data folder and Temporary files. Untick this checkbox to retain Voice Prompts, Music on Hold, Voice Mail, and the contents of the firmware folder.
- Install the new version of 3CX Phone System.
- After the installation, the post-install wizard will automatically start. In the Post Install wizard, select the Language, and configure the Local IP address and optionally the Public IP address of the PBX. In the Settings section, select to Restore existing PBX Settings and select the back-up file created in Step 1.
- When upgrading from a very old version, you can skip only one version. For example, if you would like to upgrade from 3CX Phone System version 10 to version 12, you will first need to use the above procedure to move to version 11. You will then need to run through the procedure again to upgrade to version 12.
- When performing an upgrade, you can choose to move the installation to a new machine.
- Ensure that your license key includes valid Upgrade Insurance before you upgrade to a new version.