This guide is for 3CX Phone System 11 users. Contact your local 3CX Partner and upgrade to the latest version of 3CX Phone System today!
The preferences tab allows you to configure desired behavior of 3CX MyPhone such as; Notifications, Display, Dialing, Miscellaneous, Microsoft Outlook Integration, and Chat. Some of these features require the installation of the 3CX MyPhone Desktop Components. These features include:
- Bring to front on incoming calls
- Steal focus
- Notify external program on incoming calls
- Launch 3CX Phone
- Outlook integration
3CX Desktop Components
The 3CX Desktop Components are required for the “Bring to front”, the “Hotkey dialing” features as well as the Microsoft Outlook & TAPI integration. These features require 3CX MyPhone to be installed on your computer and cannot be done using the web-based 3CX MyPhone.
3CX MyPhone Desktop components require .NET framework 4 and Windows XP Service Pack 3 upwards. .NET Framework 4 will be automatically installed if you do not have it. To install 3CX MyPhone Desktop Components:
- Click on the ‘Install’ button in the 3CX MyPhone Desktop Components section or on the update button located to the top right hand side of the time display.
- A setup file will be downloaded.
- Run this setup file from the folder it has been saved to (download folder).
- Setup will check if you have .NET 4 Framework installed and if not, download it and install it for you.
- Setup will then proceed to install the components.
- After setup has completed, restart your MyPhone session (logout and close browser) and login again.
- If you have Microsoft Outlook installed, Setup will automatically install the Microsoft Outlook add-ins.
After 3CX MyPhone Desktop components have been installed, you can proceed to configure the dialing, miscellaneous, Microsoft outlook integration, chat, prefix, display and notifications options. To complete Microsoft Outlook integration, follow the instructions in the Microsoft Outlook Integration section below.
The notifications section allows you to:
- Bring to front on incoming call – this will cause 3CX MyPhone to launch and display information on the incoming call.
- Notify on incoming calls- A pop up appears in the occurrence of an incoming call
- Notify external program on incoming call – optionally you can run an external program that performs certain actions on inbound calls, for example pop up a customer record. Select the program executable and any optional parameters to enable this function. You can also specify whether you want the configured contact record to be popped up automatically on incoming calls when ringing or when answered.
This section provides you with the functionality of alphabetically sorting the order extensions are listed in by their first or last name.
The Dialing section allows you to configure how calls initiated from 3CX MyPhone should be treated.
When calls are launched, the call is made using one of these options:
- Call Desk phone – PBX will call your deskphone and establish call. You can specify to use intercom if your phone supports it. This way you just need to pick up the phone to listen to the other party.
- Launch 3CXPhone – this will make the call using 3CXPhone for Windows.
- Trigger call on desk phone using this URL. This requires that your phone has an HTTP CTI interface.
Hotkey – You can specify a hotkey that will trigger an outbound call. This allows you to select a number in a web page or document and hit the hotkey to dial it.
You can configure the following miscellaneous options:
- Start automatically with Windows
- Change 3CX MyPhone Status when Idle – You can define the amount of time your system will remain unused for before being flagged as idle, once your system is flagged as idle, you can set a status to activate on your extension.
- Park to Shared Parking Places (SP) – You can specify a default or shared parking orbit to park calls to. This allows you to configure a different or shared parking orbit’s per department.
- Increment Parking Orbit – You can configure that calls are automatically parked in the next available parking orbit
- Play Queue SLA sound – Select a specific sound file to be played in order to attract an agent’s attention when a call has been in SLA time.
Microsoft Outlook integration
Before you can use Outlook integration, you must configure it. To do this:
- Ensure you have downloaded and installed the 3CX Desktop Components. Otherwise the ‘Configure’ link will appear grayed out.
- Now click on the ‘Configure’ link.
- A dialog box will appear that allows you to select which Contacts folders you want to use to match a caller ID to a contact. You can select personal contact folders or even public folders. Select as many as you want but the more you select the slower the matching will be.
- You then have to define the maximum digit length you want the contact lookup to match. The “Show New Contact in Outlook” checkbox will bring up a new contact dialog screen when a caller ID is not matched, with the contact number automatically filled. You can enter and save the contacts details from here. If you want to define the folder the new contact will be saved to, check the “Show Folder Selection Dialog” checkbox, otherwise the contact will be saved to the first folder configured in the previous section
- You can then define the matched contact popup behavior by selecting to either “Manually close the contact record” or “Automatically close the contact record after” a definable amount of time passes.
- Click OK to complete configuration.
The chat section allows you to disable chat for your extension, as well as block specific extensions from being able to chat with you and select whether or not sounds get played when a new text message appears.
Using the Prefix section, you can create outbound rules directly from MyPhone. This is a form of digit manipulation. For example, a German user might prefer to have the digits he dials in a different order to an British user, using this section he can manipulate the order of the digits he has dials to his liking. This section allows you to:
- Edit and
- Delete outbound rules