• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Hosted Server / SBC confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Morrison

Platinum Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
I have scoured the forums, talked to support at our phone vendor and also 3cx support and still dont have good answers

Situation.
AWS hosted 3cx for 1 client
Client has 20+ Locations
Connecting all client locations to same server
Remote extensions (Yealink phones) using provisioning URL (not STUN)
No VPNs between locations and server

Questions:

Do i NEED an SBC at each location?
Can multiple SBC's connect back to the server?
Do SBC's really help with latency/jitter/garbled voice?

I know there are a ton of factors but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: Daniel Sobrinho
Also its all brand new so latest versions of 3CX, etc

Do i NEED an SBC at each location?
Can multiple SBC's connect back to the server?
Do SBC's really help with latency/jitter/garbled voice?

If a location has more than one, maybe two sets, then, yes, an SBC will save a lot of headaches, and bandwidth on internal calls.

Yes, just as multiple, individual sets can register to a 3CX server, so can SBCs.

If latency (or any other network (ISP) issue) is causing problems, then an SBC won't fix it. Voice quality will only be as good as the choice of Codecs and internet quality allow. It can't work miracles, unfortunately.

In the event you didn't come across this...
https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-tunnel-session-border-controller/

Last edited:
Ditto what leejor said. If you have locations with one remote phone, you should be able to use STUN for those.

Use the Raspberry PI SBC. I have one client with 22 locations using these with 3 or 4 phone per location with no issues.

Latency, noise, etc. cannot be corrected with the SBC. With AWS, if you have a decent internet connection, you will be fine.

Raspberry Pi I agree is a great device for the 3CX SBC however you must take note that they only support 20 extensions per Pi.

You have said that you have 20+ locations but not specified how many users per site.

If you need more than 20 per site(s) then you can either double up Pi SBC's (which 3CX now support) or run the SBC for Windows or Linux which support 50 extensions per SBC.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
I completely forgot to mention that each location would have 10-40 extensions each.

Any suggestions on an mini/micro pc and or computer on a stick for the SBC?

We use the Shuttle, NC02U for larger counts.

Last edited:
I would rather rethink the networking model / hosting and use VPNs.
Much more reliable than SBCs for quotes size of sites, regardless of improvements in SBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.