• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Local IP phone still calling when external 3rd party declines the call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frazer

Reaction score
Hi,
We have Yealink 46S (supported firmware) with GammaSIP (UK) as our trunk provider. We have the following issue:
1. Internal Yealink calls external number.
2. External number rings, but recipient decides to decline the call as they are busy/dont want the call. They see the call end.
3. Yealink continues to ring (waiting for recipient to pick up) until it times out

Logs show the following:
Code:
18/02/2018 02:08:28 - Exception: ParseException E:\root15_5_sp3\Sources\3rdParty\Resiprocate\rutil/ParseBuffer.hxx:230, Parse failed unexpected eof in context: 
           ^
 @ E:\root15_5_sp3\Sources\3rdParty\Resiprocate\rutil/ParseBuffer.hxx:230
18/02/2018 02:08:28 - Call to T:Line:10000>>MOBILE-NUMBER@[Dev:sip:10000@GAMMASIP-IP:5060] from L:4.1[Extn:2122] failed, cause: Cause: 408 Request Timeout/INVITE from GAMMASIP-IP:5060
18/02/2018 02:08:28 - [CM503003]: Call(C:4): Call to <sip:MOBILE-NUMBER@GAMMASIP-IP:5060> has failed; Cause: 408 Request Timeout/INVITE from GAMMASIP-IP:5060

Thanks

recipient decides to decline the call as they are busy/dont want the call.

Depending on the called party's hardware/trunking, the proper (what you're expecting) message does not appear to be passed back to 3CX. You can confirm any SIP status messages received, in the 3CX Activity Log. Someone "rejecting" a call, could mean any number of things at their end, such as the call being sent to voicemail. It doesn't guarantee a particular SIP message will be sent back to you unless the call is dropped. It doesn't sound as if that is happening.

I've tested this with three different mobile networks:
BT (uses EE UK network) - declines the call properly - local IP phone gets sent busy signal
GiffGaff (uses O2 UK network) - declines the call properly also.
Three (UK) - doesn't terminate the call properly. This could just be my Samsung S8+ or my phone number on Three, will test with another user of Three tomorrow with a different model phone and different phone number/SIM.

Thanks

In most cases, from what I've experienced, declining a call, on a mobile, will send the caller off to the mobiles voicemail. That is if the called part has voicemail active, or, the call could forward to another number. The fact that some mobiles behave as you expect them to shows that 3CX is able to end the call when the correct SIP message is received, so 3CX isn't the problem here. As you probably suspect, it is either the 3 Networks handling of the call, what it thinks it is to do with the call when rejected, or, possibly, an option on your phone. If your phone is unlocked, you could try a SIM from a network that behaves as expected, to eliminate a phone option as the culprit. You might also try to contact 3, and see if you can reach someone with technical knowledge (usually unlikely), that can explain what "reject" means to their network.

Reactions: bbaker73
As I was testing this remotely, I couldn't hear the loud speaker.

When a user of Three rejects the call the following happens:
1. Yealink handset/speaker plays the busy tone - good for the user.
2. There is no end call/busy/reject signal sent to the system so the call is not terminated, leaving the user to listen to the busy tone until it times out.
3. The display makes it appear as if you are still waiting for the call to be picked up (I was checking this remotely)
4. After timing out, 3CX logs the error above.

If the user sends you to voicemail by declining, this works as expected.

Solved - ish, but it seems Three could do with ending the call properly or 3CX terminates after busy tone is sent.

Thanks

Last edited:
In the 3CX Activity Log you can compare the type of SIP message, sent by Three, to that sent by the other providers. Perhaps, if informed, they could change what is sent when a call is rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.