• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Hotel set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbejanvdw

Customer
Reaction score
Hello,

We are a hotel with 80 rooms with analog phones.
3 years ago we bought a Pbx. A company installed Asterisk. We would like to switch now to 3cx.
I'm trying to do this on my own, but haven't got far...

The biggest problem is i can't connect our analog phones. The company installed 8 cisco's SPA8000 and 1 SPA112.
i've already searched the whole internet but can't find how to configure an analog phone in V15.5.

Help would be appreciated...

You need a FXS analog gateway to convert from analog to SIP. Your analog phones stay connected to the same analog cable, but the other end of the cable must be plugged into the gateway, and the gateway is plugged into your computer network. Then you configure 3CX to talk to the analog gateway.

Here is a list of supported gateways:

https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

There is no problem of using Cisco SPA8000 as FXS gateways, you need to configure them manually, very similar to SPA2102 or newer SPA112/122. There is no conceptual difference between 3CX and FreePBX/Asterisk in using SIP devices.

If you have a record of the configuration (passwords, extension numbers, IPs and ports) in the ATAs, you could probably leave them as is and simply configure the 3CX extension information to match. You could then do this with the Asterisk still up and running, swapping (the Ethernet plugs) in the 3CX PBX for testing as you progress. Just give the 3CX server the same IP as the Asterisk PBX.

Once the basics were working, then additional features could be implemented.

Thank you for the information.
I've already tried this. but my main problem is i just don't know how i can configure or provision the analog phones. I achieved to connect the SPA8000 gateways to the 3CX But then i'm stuck. i have no clue how i can connect the analog phones.

The analogue phones are already "attached", the issue would seem to be getting the settings from the SPA8000's and then creating the same extensions in 3CX to match. Each SPA8000 serves 8 phones. Each should have been assigned an IP to allow you to log in (via GUI) and examine the extension settings. If you don't have this information, or they (the SPA8000s) have been password protected, you may be in trouble, unless someone can provide that. If the SPA8000 is like other Cisco ATAs, the passwords for the sets will be hidden (********), so you will have to get those from Asterisk, or change to new ones, matching the new ones in 3CX.

You should have an idea of all of the extension numbers. Create the same ones in 3CX, don't worry about the extension passwords as those can be changed to match the ones in the SPA8000s later. Just be sure to set-up the 3CX server machine to use the same local IP as the current phone system. Obviously you can't have both working on the same LAN at the same time.

Thank Leejor for the information.
I have all the passwords and login from all devices. even the extensions/

So to connect the phones do i need to create a generic gateway and then extension or do i only need to make seperate extension?

Gateways like this: upload_2018-2-25_12-20-47.png

Or extensions like this:
upload_2018-2-25_12-21-20.png

Like you see, the status is red. I can't succeed to get them provisioned...

You may want to check and see if the SPA IP(s) are blacklisted. You do not need to create a gateway. Consider each SPA8000 to be nothing more than a collection of 8 phones, each with an extension number and a set of credentials just like any other SIP phone. This is found in the voice section for each in the SPA. Ideally, nothing has changed other than perhaps the IP of the phone system where 3CX resides versus where the Asterisk machine is/was. You merely need to replicate in 3CX the extensions along with the credentials and have the SPA point to 3CX for the SIP server/proxy. You should, to be safe, also "walk" the rooms to insure that if gateway 1, port 1 is setup to be room 100, that it is indeed is room 100. Keep in mind that the analog side of the gateway and rooms are physical connections whereas the VoIP side of the gateway and 3CX are programmed (and could be incorrect). Emergency calls will depend on the physical and programmatic aspects both being associated to the same and correct room.

Be aware that while the SPA is a good gateway, it does not support neon type MWI, but only FSK. Most hotels use neon, but given that this was previously an Asterisk based system perhaps the install took this into account. I personally cannot imagine installing a hotel using the SPA as was done as I would have used a more dense gateway such as a 48 port and a 32 port model so I only had to worry about 2 devices and their power and space needs. However, I do understand, that what you have is what you have and there is no reason not to use it. As a final note, the line count does not seem to match to the gateway count - 80 analog lines reported, but the gateway count only supports 66.

Check the 3CX Activity Log for attempted registrations. If there are none, then the SPAs are not set to use the correct IP of the server, the server was not set to the same IP as the asterisk system, or there is another "network" problem preventing communication. The log will also show if the IP of the SPAs has been blacklisted because of too many incorrect attempts. If it is a password issue, then that will show in the logs as well. Avoid "cut and pastes" when moving passwords as spaces can sometimes be transferred over.

Get the ATAs working first, then worry about adding a gateway. There could be a common problem, concentrate on one thing at a time.

woooow, i got it to work! the problem was i didn't entered the port of the 3cx.
I've changed the ip adress to 192.168.1.221:5111 and the green light appeared!

Thank you all for the help, it helped me a lot! i though i had to make a gateway first. Now i can move on an set up the whole configuration.

Just one question about this:
However, I do understand, that what you have is what you have and there is no reason not to use it. As a final note, the line count does not seem to match to the gateway count - 80 analog lines reported, but the gateway count only supports 66.

How can you know that the gateway count is only 66?

Easy - You indicated "The company installed 8 cisco's SPA8000 and 1 SPA112"
From Cisco-
" Part of Cisco Small Business Voice Gateways and ATAs, the SPA8000 8-Port IP Telephony Gateway allows for connections between eight analog telephones and an IP-based data network"

8*8=64 plus the 2 from the SPA112=66

Easy - You indicated "The company installed 8 cisco's SPA8000 and 1 SPA112"
From Cisco-
" Part of Cisco Small Business Voice Gateways and ATAs, the SPA8000 8-Port IP Telephony Gateway allows for connections between eight analog telephones and an IP-based data network"

8*8=64 plus the 2 from the SPA112=66

My mistake, we have 10 pieces of the 8000 :)

Now I still have to configure my outgoing calls. These don't work yet. Does somebody know how i can find the outbound rules in Asterisk? I've mailed my provider to give me the rules. I think the rules are the main problem...

You really do not need to copy the rules. The rules depend on how connected to the outside world (analog, SIP, PRI, etc.) and possibly, to some degree, on what the room phones may have posted on their face-plates. If SIP, which I take it to be from your last post, most will want to see 11 digits or 10 (US based) regardless of even if a local call. So, grab a phone and create a rule that points to your provider (assumes that one is configured in the system) and in the rule just indicate 11 digits in length and dial a number like you would if it were long distance with the 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX. If that does not work, then change the rule to 10 digits and repeat but without the "1". If SIP and in the US, one of these should work provided that you are indeed configured correctly for your provider. If not, then you may need to do a capture and see what the provider response is or get the provider to assist in the trunk config. You then simply need to add rules in anticipation of how the guest would expect to dial. So, if most expect to call a local number using 7 digits, then you will need to create a rule that will prepend the local area code along with the 1 (if 11 digits are required). Basically, you need the format of the number to always match the 11 or 10 digits with the exception of 3 digit dialing such as may be needed for 411 or other similar services. Also, remember that you may need to strip a number in the event that the phones have directions to dial 9,8 or some other number in order to reach an outside line. And finally, remember to set up emergency calling along with the email notification so that should someone have a need for it, the hotel will get the email informing of the call along with the extension that dialed it. You may also have to consider how to handle emergency calling if the instructions indicate to use a 9 or 8 or similar such that you can handle 911, 8911 and 9911 for instance. No matter the scenario, by law in the US, a guest must be able to dial 911 without any preceding numbers but if the phones indicate an additional digit is needed. you have to be prepared to accommodate it such that it will reach 911. For hotels, I always use a Grandstream HT503 with an analog line. I want the local responders to take and manage the call rather than e911. I also use the phone side to connect an analog phone at the front desk so they should almost always have a way of calling should the need arise, even if the PBX is down.

Thanks Ineblett for the information!
I got the pbx up and running now! We had to disable the asterisk pbx to activate the 3cx with our Voip-provider.

Thanks a lot for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.