• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Connecting 3CX to AT&T BIB SIP Trunks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayfield

Platinum Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
I have a customer who already has a 3CX system and wants to connect it to an AT&T Business In a Box (BIB) SIP Trunk. I've seen some information on these forums about doing this, but the solutions mentioned made use of two NIC cards in the 3CX server. I would like to avoid that, if possible, and only use one NIC card in the 3CX server. The customer needs to keep all telephone traffic on the same network as his computer system (can't split telephone and data traffic into two networks).

Since the data connection and the SIP connection are provided through two ethernet connections from AT&T's equipment, is it possible to use a dual-WAN router (such as a MikroTik router, programmed as such), to connect both connections (data and SIP/Voice) to the customer's LAN and the 3CX server (thus only using one NIC on the 3CX server)?

If so, does anyone have some fairly specific information on how this might be configured?

John Rayfield, Jr.

You are over thinking this. Two NICs is only for the 3CX system. The phones and the internal interface of 3CX can sit on the internal/data network. The 2nd NIC in the 3CX box is because SIP from AT&T is delivered over a separate interface. You might be able to talk AT&T into handing it off on the same interface (you used to before with the Cisco routers) but then you would be in an unsupported configuration and god help if you things don't work.

I understand about using two NICs. I don't want to have to deal with AT&T, trying to get them to do anything different than what they're used to doing. I thought it might be easier to set up a dual-wan router, but I suppose that two NICs might be easier, now that I'm thinking about it. I'll dig up your post about using dual NICs with AT&T and take a closer look at that.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boykins_54
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.