• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Grandstream Phone always ringing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConceptsWeb

Bronze Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I updated my 3CX to the last version and noticed the Grandstream phones were back in business. So I updated the firmwares and deleted my custom templates to use the built-in one.

Now I have a big problem: my remote phone keeps ringing constantly.

I tried disabling Direct IP Calls, I tried removing my NAT forwarding, and I tried "Accept INVITE only from Proxy" but these configuration gets overwritten on every provisioning.

I don't want to use a custom template but I need it to stop ringing. It rings during the night now.

If the provisioning is overwriting the Accept from proxy only, then you need to customize a template for remote operation. Removing the NAT from the remote probably did nothing and especially so if keep alives on the phone are enabled. If you have a decent firewall at the remote site, you might be able to put in a firewall rule to only allow the 3CX public IP to pass when using the SIP port (whatever your local SIP port is in use in the phone). That would eliminate the template issue, but most remote sites do not have a router of this caliber.

Hello @Frederick Marcoux

Make sure that you are using the supported firmware version. Then hardware reset the phone and provision using the default template. Find guides for all supported models here https://www.3cx.com/support/
Also check the following link, as this was extensively discussed on the following thread.
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/grandstream-phones-constantly-ringing-after-update.54260/

Hi @mariosM_3CX ! Actually the problem seems to come from the template itself. The "Accept Incoming SIP from Proxy Only" should be enabled for remote extension. When using NAT forwarding, every packet is sent to the fun thus making it ring at 2AM while I sleep.

If the provisioning is overwriting the Accept from proxy only, then you need to customize a template for remote operation. Removing the NAT from the remote probably did nothing and especially so if keep alives on the phone are enabled. If you have a decent firewall at the remote site, you might be able to put in a firewall rule to only allow the 3CX public IP to pass when using the SIP port (whatever your local SIP port is in use in the phone). That would eliminate the template issue, but most remote sites do not have a router of this caliber.

I currently customize the built-in template, and merge at each update. As for the NAT, I tried "Post triggering" instead of forwarding but that didn't do it. The remote site is using an ISP-provided router, Zyxel, which cannot be configured like a Cisco (precise destination or source on triggering and forwarding or simply disabling SIP ALG). I may need to use a SBC to get around that.

I noticed something similar with the GXP2160. I have updated the firmware beyond the latest supported, which once provisioned by 3CX the firmware downgrades automatically to the supported version, and when the phone loads it's application it starts ringing for about a minute after it finishes booting. After that it seems fine (however the BLF Keys don't appear to provision properly). Picking up the handset while it is ringing seems to stop it. Again on my 8 SC Std 15.5.9348.3 the GXP2160 will ring for a minute after boot and then behave normally.

Reactions: ConceptsWeb
Hello @Frederick Marcoux

Make sure that you are using the supported firmware version. Then hardware reset the phone and provision using the default template. Find guides for all supported models here https://www.3cx.com/support/
Also check the following link, as this was extensively discussed on the following thread.
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/grandstream-phones-constantly-ringing-after-update.54260/

I just did a factory reset and remote provision with 3CX but still nothing. The phone rings a minute after boot-up, like mentionned by @data32 and keeps doing this a few times every hours. Also, sometimes I can't even hang up the call.

Reactions: data32
I just did a factory reset and remote provision with 3CX but still nothing. The phone rings a minute after boot-up, like mentionned by @data32 and keeps doing this a few times every hours. Also, sometimes I can't even hang up the call.
Just out of curiosity are there any messages in the voicemail box? I noticed on the latest release that Yealink phones will beep twice CONSTANTLY if there is an unread message in the mailbox. This could be a similar manifestation with a different procudure call.

Hi,

this problem occurs when you are not using the firmware supported by 3CX, update the firmware to the one indicated by 3CX and the problem will disappear.

For the GXP 16XX phones the firmware must be 1.0.4.105

For the GXP21XX phones, the firmware must be 1.0.9.68

Best regards,

Reactions: ConceptsWeb
Hi,

this problem occurs when you are not using the firmware supported by 3CX, update the firmware to the one indicated by 3CX and the problem will disappear.

For the GXP 16XX phones the firmware must be 1.0.4.105

For the GXP21XX phones, the firmware must be 1.0.9.68

Best regards,

Hi Jose,

First of all, the GXP21XX firmware, 1.0.9.68, just released today so I couldn't update it before. Also, the problem does not come from the phone but from the SIP hackers. With Direct IP Call enabled and SIP Authentication disabled, everyone can ring my phone. I disabled both of them and the problem disappeared.

Reactions: tronic and data32
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.