• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved handset can't receive external

Status
Not open for further replies.

richo81

Free User
Reaction score
Hi i have a grandstream handset that doesnt appear to receive inbound calls. Of a heap of attempts once or twice it has gone through but most cases it seems not to. The 3cx is hosted externally and the inbound calls are reaching the pbx but not being delivered to the handset. Inbound calls do however reach the 3cx client and Iphone app on the same network. Process of elimination tells me it may be the phone or setting related to it. The handset is registered and can make outbound calls successfully so i am at a bit of a loss. The only error i can see that may be related to the handset is "Leg L:8.2[Extn:01] is terminated: Cause: 408 Request Timeout/INVITE from local" Anyone got any ideas?

STUN or SBC?

Does the set have a unique extension number, or is it shared with other devices? Is it only external calls that have the issue, or calls from other extensions?

What does a 3CX Activity Log Call (failed) look like from another extension?

How many extensions at that site? Are they behind an SBC, use VPN, or simply behind a router? If just behind a router, does each device have a unique local port number?

If the port is duplicated on another device, then the router may be "confused" as to where to send an incoming Invite.

ok the iphone/client and handset were all using the same extn. i have since set the iphone on another extension. i cannot dial from iphone (ext2) to handset (ext1). i can dial from handset to iphone though.

there are only 2 extensions at site now. simply behind a router. not sure if each device has its own local port. i dont think so.

They have to each be assigned a different local port, or you will have problems. Even with that, you may still have audio issues, depending on your router. You can try enabling PBX Delivers Audio, on the extension settings, to see if that helps.

Reactions: craigreilly
Must be missing something here. I've gone back to basics and only have the 1 extn with the handset registered. No iphone or client registered. Still cant receive inbound calls to handset.

I've never been able to provision the handset automatically. I had to enter the 3cx sip details manually on the phone to connect it. Not sure if this would have anything to do with it.

Unless the router is reset, if the port is duplicated on two devices, the last one placing an outgoing call should be able to then receive calls. Power down/power up registration should accomplish the same thing. One device, with no port conflicts, is usually not an issue and generally does not require any changes to the local router. Of course there are always exceptions, and much does depend on the particular router and options set.

You might also want to check the 3CX Activity Log to see what the registration looks like, what IP (hopefully the public one of the router) and what port.

Last edited:
router is a sonicwall. do i need any inbound ports opened for the handset. the 3cx is remote (firewall ports are open here obviously) the handset is local.

I'm not familiar with Sonicwall (someone else probably is), but if it is blocking ports, then that may indeed be an issue. Besides the SIP "signalling" port, (5060?), there are others used for voice. In most cases, basic router with one device behind it, port forwarding isn't normally required. You set up would appear to be a bit more sophisticated and therefore have additional requirement to allow full functionality. Someone using Sonicwall at a remote site may be able to help with any 3CX extension compatibility settings.

went back to basics on this again and managed to get the auto provisioning to work. just had to be patient and wait 5 minutes for it to reboot then logged in with userid and voicemail pwd. All working now as expected. just need to be a little more patient.

Glad to see the issue has been resolved and thank you for sharing your solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.