• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX with 13 analog phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhogue1975

Customer
Intermediate Cert.
Reaction score
I have a new client that has 58 IP Phones and 13 analog phones. What is the best device to manage the 13 analog phones?

Without a doubt, the best way forward is to buy 13 IP Phones and replace the analog phones. If there are no wires available, try for a DECT solution. If all else fails the Grandstream FXS gateways.

We have used Sangoma Vega, not supported by 3CX, but they do work.

I use Dinstar, also not supported by 3CX and works great and very inexpensive. They will support getting you up and running.

8-port FXS Flavor of this:
https://www.patton.com/voip-gateway/sn4140/

Patton may be a little expensive but their stuff is extremely reliable, supported by 3CX, and they work well. Not sure why Nick didn't mention Patton and said Grandstream, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We had used Grandstream FXS and FXO gateways in the past and not had good results. Replaced all of them with Pattons due to flakey issues (fixed by occasional reboots). That is just our experience. And No, I don't work for Patton.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I was looking at the Patton but wanted to see if there was something 3CX supported that could manage all 13 analog phones. Sounds like using 2 Patton 8-Port FXS is the only option.

Beronet 16 port FXS is a good choice. We use them quite a bit and they work well, easy to configure too.

Hi jhogue1975,

The Patton SN43xx series are very solid channel bank units (16, 24 or 32 ports available) and where not officially supported by 3CX the template from the supported 411x series models is easily adapted to fit this model (I can send to you ours if you need): https://www.patton.com/voip-gateway/sn4300/

That being said I have heard rumor that Grandstream's equivalent channel bank FXS gateways maybe supported by 3CX soon, these gateways I have tested and was very impressed with - and are around a third of the price of the Patton equivalents: http://www.grandstream.com/products/gateways-and-atas/analog-voip-gateways/product/gxw4200-series

The Patton's require a special RJ21 cable with either pre-terminated patch panel or bare ended cable (to be punched down onsite). The Grandstreams support this also but the smaller variations (such as the GXW4216) also has its own bank of ports for the analogue phones (so no cable is required) offering further cost savings.

Reactions: jhogue1975
For just 16 phones if you can get Ethernet to the rooms it's best as Nick said to just go with VoIP phones or VoIP DECT. Panasonic even makes DECT desk phones if you are worried about cordless phones going missing.

If you have to go with Analog I would recommend the Grandstream but to use the RJ21 Cable and a punch down block if possible. Nice and clean and works great.

Using 16 RJ11 cables could introduce cross-talk issues. Alternatively you could order twisted pair shielded RJ11 cables which helps reduce cross-talk. https://www.cablestogo.com/product/28721/7ft-rj11-high-speed-internet-modem-cable

I am an big Patton fan and normally would recommend Patton, but for the large scale FXS devices they are super expensive and not as flexible as the Grandstream. Grandstream has this market cornered.

The reason I suggest Grandstream is that the Grandstream is priced way better and supports both methods of analog message waiting indicator light whereas the Patton only supports one method.

If the analog phones are the type that don't plug into power only RJ11 then the Patton won't be able to make the message waiting light blink. The Patton only supports message waiting light for Analog phones that have AC power.

Just remember if you go down the route of using the analogue phones these will basic units - make and receive calls - will not have the extra functions that 3CX and SIP phones can offer

You may be better off upgrading to SIP phones

Last edited:
If the analog phones are the type that don't plug into power only RJ11 then the Patton won't be able to make the message waiting light blink. The Patton only supports message waiting light for Analog phones that have AC power.

We found that Patton supports MWI light on non-powered phones fine. We used firmware 6.9 on units bought in 2016, so this may only be an issue with older firmware / hardware.

If you're putting Ethernet into the rooms remember to firewall all the room ports off from the rest of the LAN. If you don't you're inviting all the guests to hack whatever is on that LAN which might include badly protected file shares, PMS, AV systems, etc. Alternatively, VLAN the rooms off and put an SBC in the VLAN.

Whilst on the subject of Hospitality and MWI and for the sake of the string and forums - some additional points.

Compatibility is a factor of MWI method on the FXS gateway and matching support on the analogue phone. 3CX is not directly relevant other than MWI compatibility support on FXS gateway.

Older hotel phones had a neon bulb and were typically signaled with a high-voltage on the FXS.
Some phones support multiple methods but it is a physically hidden setting on a switch/dip under the keypad.

Grandstream GXW42xx series gateways offer FSK and neon methods for analogue voicemail. FSK is their default and it’s OK with most phones

Smaller Grandstream FXS devices like the ATA's do not support any form of analogue MWI.
Patton Channel banks use reverse polarity.

My supplier suggested I try a Yeastar TA3200 and TA1600 for a system I have where I require 46 analog connections. They are not supported either. I just installed it yesterday and while the first 15 extensions registered after manual config, there is something weitd going on when dialing out and it looks like it may be challenging to get it to properly communicate witht the 3CX system.

I will take a guess that you have set this up in the old method for FXS Gateway configuration and are simply creating multiple FXS extensions of which you are registering to (and not using a custom template).

As you can probably see there is a specific area now for FXS/DECT of which un-supported devices cannot use. If registered I would suggest maybe tracing to see if it gives you any indicate how 3CX is reacting when you make a call out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.