• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Router requirements for stun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob24h

Reaction score
Hi,

We want to connect our Yealink phones (20 in our office) via STUN to a 3CX v15.5 running in the cloud.
We know what to do in the 3CX PBX but what are the requirements the router in the office has to have in order to function? I have heard people complaining about specific types of NAT which needs some certain requirements?
Maybe some router brands and types you guys recommend?

if you have 20 phone in one office and all are talking to the same pbx, plz use our SBC (its for free).
Exists for Windows, debian 9 and PI (for your install however to small i would assume)

Reactions: eddv123
Hi Rob24h,

Firstly I would not recommend this (as Stefan has also stated). Although supported I would look at using the 3CX SBC as it will offer benefits of:

* Added encryption and security.
* Plug and play provisioning support (across the SBC).
* Less port configuration on the firewall (which = less configuration and security risk).
* Traffic between end-points remains local to the phones. STUN requires PBX Delivers audio - this adds to potential issues with behavior between handsets as well as added bandwidth consumption.

As for the router on the remote site (to answer your question if you want to proceed with STUN) this is purely dependent on router. STUN does require at least 5060 for SIP and the RTP ports: https://www.3cx.com/ports-used-3cx-phone-system-v14-v15/.

In my personal opinion however I have found that the STUN setup is not an exact science and you can get sporadic results. I have had instances for example where I have had to make no changes to the remote firewall (only local to 3CX-PBX) and some where I have.

Most routers will allow outbound traffic by default which helps, the only one(s) I know of where you would need to configure both ways would be Cisco's. What I would avoid (if you are in the UK) would be the likes or Virgin routers and BT Home hubs as you have a lot less flexibility in regards to NAT configuration and disabling of SIP ALG.

I agree that a SBC is a very good option, but the problem is there is nobody present in the office with knowledge to manage and maintain the SBC, there simply is no IT guy.

As there is already a company that manages the infrastructure and network it would be great to have them install a new router and have them maintain it. That's why STUN is preferred over SBC.

The Windows SBC is very easy to setup. Download the software >> configured you parameters and can run on a laptop or Intel NUC.

The Linux and Raspberry Pi versions are well documented also:
https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-tunnel-session-border-controller/

If this is not your thing some Distributors provide pre-configured SBC's for true plug and play provisioning but you would need to purchase via a 3CX reseller.
https://www.electronicfrontier.co.uk/raspberry-pi-for-3cx-sbc/

The Raspberry Pi version supports 20, but you are hitting your limit here.

I agree that a SBC is a very good option, but the problem is there is nobody present in the office with knowledge to manage and maintain the SBC, there simply is no IT guy.

As there is already a company that manages the infrastructure and network it would be great to have them install a new router and have them maintain it. That's why STUN is preferred over SBC.

the SBC sounds like a complicated issue but it is now, install configure - forget...

The Raspberry Pi is no option as the 20 phones will be Yealink T48 with BLF enabled.
How to solve the issue of a SBC hardware crashing? If there is no supplier to fix this, downtime might be days?

I would get yourself a device running Windows and test the 3CX SBC for Windows for yourself:
http://downloads.3cx.com/downloads/3CXSBC15.msi

You will be genuinely surprised at how easy it is. The Windows variant supports upto 50 extensions and 250 BLF's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.