• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Best way to migrate to a new SIP Trunk service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Wheeler

Customer
Reaction score
We are migrating to a new SIP trunk service and wanted to know the "Best Practice" for doing this in 3CX 15.5? Since you cannot have the same DIDs, which we have a lot, configured in both SIP trunks at the same time and we want to minimize the migration time there seems to be 3 options to do this:
1 - Create the new SIP trunk with a "dummy" main number
Export current Inbound Rules
Wait until porting is complete
Update SIP trunk with correct main number
Import Inbound rules

2 - Manually change existing SIP trunk provider with new/updated info to be replacement SIP trunk provider and not have to touch the Inbound rules. Not sure if this will be problematic.

3 - Create new SIP trunk service with "dummy" main number
Wait until porting is complete
Delete DIDs configured with original SIP trunk
Delete Inbound call rules
Manually add DIDs to new SIP trunk
Manually create new call rules

I would think it is pretty common to change SIP providers and wanted to know how this is being handled and any tricks learned. Thanks, Ed.

I have done this a few times...

1) Create new Trunk. For number - buy a DID for 1 month during porting. Use that as the main number. Or - use your current number with a * before it. (I would have had a DID already for testing to ensure the provider was legit and no issues with my config - so I can test in and out).
2) Create new inbound rules - but put a * before the number.
3) Start using the new trunk for outbound service right away to ensure no one reports any issues.
4) Port numbers
5) When port is complete -
delete old trunk
delete temporary DID and change primary number on the Trunk.

I just added the same DID under two SIP trunks and added inbound rules for each trunk/DID combination. I wanted to confirm that nothing has changed. I have done this many times before, but with all the changes that are common (and very appreciated) with the 3CX platform, you always have to check.

In light of this, I would go ahead and add the second SIP trunk now, along with the duplicate DIDs and inbound routes. As craigreilly suggested, get a temporary DID from the new provider so you can test inbound/outbound calls BEFORE the port takes place. When you have confirmed that all call work, then submit your port request. What will happen is one minute the DIDs will route through Trunk A, and the next minute (after the port has gone through) the DIDs will route through Trunk B. It will be seamless (provided everyone has done their job correctly).

In other words, you can setup everything in advance and when the port takes place, nobody will be the wiser. It just magically happens.

Reactions: craigreilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imperial Treasure
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.