• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Re-Provisioning Yealink T42S Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

cydney

Customer
Reaction score
For the last day or so I have been trying to provision a Yealink T42S phone but with no success.

A little backstory here, we have several employees that use the Yealink T42S and a few that have the T46S. So far, I have not needed to re-provision one of the T46S only a T42S. Recently two employs quit and one of the other techs decided to ‘help out’ and removed them from 3CX. He deleted their extensions, so they were freed up.

I did not think much of this and a few days go by, and I now need to provision one of the two T42S phones. However, I do not seem to be able to do that.

It’s important to note that this employee being setup will be a remote person, so the Provisioning Method used is Direct SIP (STUN – remote). Just as I have done many times before.

So, after failing one to use the method that I have used in the past, I checked the 3CX guide, after all, things change so there might be something new. I took the setup step by step from the following guide: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/yealink-t4-series

+Phone > Select my Yealink T42S and add the MAC address.

--Event logs show everything is okay… (Again per the doc.)

# 3CX Phone System Management Console ID: 10018

# RPS request for Yealink T42S IP Phone of Fun Cat (1005) delivered successfully

Now here is where things seem to diverge from what I am used to, it does not say that I need to put the link in the T42S’s Auto Provisioning settings. I do however do this because how else if the phone going to know where to look to be provisioned.

I use the provided Provisioning Link: https://funpuncat.3cx.us:5001/provisioning/1p999mn2Qn18bd

On the T42S I navigate to Settings > Auto Provisioning and add my link to the Server URL then confirm to save the settings. (In the past I just clicked the Auto Provision Now button at the bottom of the page. Then the system does its thing and done… that didn’t happen.

Steps 7 & 8 never happen on the phone. Even if I try the Auto Provision Now option nothing happens. The phone’s web interface will tell me it is provisioning, but nothing happens. The page reloads after a few seconds with all the settings I saved.

There is an option on the Auto Provisioning page that is for the username and pass. The second time around I entered the extension number for the user: 1005 and the Vmail PIN for the pass: 1234 Still nothing.

I have run the firewall checker and everything there is good no issues at all. I have checked the settings on other T42S phones, and it’s the same as I am trying here other then they are provisioned and working.

Here are the versions of my 3CX and phone. The system is installed in AWS. I thought to restart all the services but this also made no difference.

I found on the forum someone else had a similar issue. But what helped them did not help me: https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/yealink-t42s-will-not-provision.50140/

3CX Ver: PRO 15.5.3849.1

Yealink T42S FW: 66.82.0.20

I really hope this is something simple and I’m just missing something very simple. Any and all help and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, in advanced.

Check that the IP of the site isn't blacklisted. Likely when the phone was deleted in 3CX the phone was still trying to connect with the previous settings and it got itself blacklisted as the extension was no longer valid.

Sounds like you are doing everything correct.

I had not thought of that. I originally was at our home office trying to provision the phones and the office's IP is allowed. I checked and none of our IP's have been blacklisted.

I have now carried one of the phones home with me and tried again with the same result. I thought perchance that there might have been something on our network preventing the provisioning but even here at home, I get the same results. X'3

Now here is where things seem to diverge from what I am used to, it does not say that I need to put the link in the T42S’s Auto Provisioning settings. I do however do this because how else if the phone going to know where to look to be provisioned.

Why not follow the instructions as they are written?

Why not follow the instructions as they are written?

I'm not really sure how the phone or 3CX are going to communicate without adding the provisioning link to the phone. Our 3CX server is not local, its hosted in AWS. Maybe I'm just not understanding how the phone will know where to look for provisioning instructions.

From step 6 of the guide (fyi. Just like the guide, I get this event message: RPS request for Yealink T42S IP Phone of Fun Cat (1005) delivered successfully and there is no warning.) to step 7, there are no settings ever entered into the phone.

After the RPS request is sent to Yealink RPS server, factory reset the phone. Once the phone reboots it will contact the Yealink RPS server and retrieve all the necessary information. Just make sure that in the extension's settings >> Options >> Restrictions the "Disallow use of extension outside the LAN" box is NOT selected and that the ip of the remote location where the phone is located is not blacklisted.

https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/yealink-t4-series/

You can provision the phone two ways, after you have completed step 7.

1. Step 8 is where you enter the extension number and voicemail pin number on the phone to finally provision the phone after you reboot the phone.

2. Enter the provisioning link into the phone, via the webfront end

Reactions: apostolis_3CX

Thanks, Craigreilly that solved my confusion and ill understanding of how RPS sets up the contact between the phone and our 3CX instance.

https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/yealink-t4-series/

You can provision the phone two ways after you have completed step 7.

1. Step 8 is where you enter the extension number and voicemail pin number on the phone to finally provision the phone after you reboot the phone.

2. Enter the provisioning link into the phone, via the web front end

In the past, I know this method has been used to provide some of the phones and I did attempt it this after trying the other way still with no luck. The phones would not provision.

After the RPS request is sent to Yealink RPS server, factory reset the phone. Once the phone reboots it will contact the Yealink RPS server and retrieve all the necessary information. Just make sure that in the extension's settings >> Options >> Restrictions the "Disallow use of extension outside the LAN" box is NOT selected and that the ip of the remote location where the phone is located is not blacklisted.

I can confirm that Disallow use of extension outside the LAN is not checked.

After factory reset, I am receiving the message to input the username (The Extention) and password (Vmail PIN) which I do. Then the phone says Updating configuration and after a few moments, the phone displays that it is complete successfully. The screen then returns to the normal home screen displaying empty extensions and the time.

I left the phone as is for over an hour thinking there might be some delay in the provisioning but nothing changed. Looking on the phones web interface the only thing that I can find that has changed is there is now a link in auto-provisioning page directing the phone to my 3CX instance.

https://funpuncat.3cx.us:5001/rps

The User Name for the below the URL is also filled in with the extension 1005.

The fact that you can see the RPS link implies that the phone can contact the RPS server and see that a configuration file is waiting for it.
From the remote site try to manually get the configuration file and see if you can download it.
To do so open a browser in the same network as the phone as type:
https://funpuncat.3cx.us:5001/provisioning/1p999mn2Qn18bd/<MAC>.cfg

Replace <MAC> with the mac address of the phone. If it fails from the browser make sure that port 5001 is open at the PBX side. If it succeeds then either the phone is not requesting the correct file or the server does not like the request. We will need to check if it comes to that.

The fact that you can see the RPS link implies that the phone can contact the RPS server and see that a configuration file is waiting for it.
From the remote site try to manually get the configuration file and see if you can download it.
To do so open a browser in the same network as the phone as type:
https://funpuncat.3cx.us:5001/provisioning/1p999mn2Qn18bd/<MAC>.cfg

Replace <MAC> with the mac address of the phone. If it fails from the browser make sure that port 5001 is open at the PBX side. If it succeeds then either the phone is not requesting the correct file or the server does not like the request. We will need to check if it comes to that.

Unfortunately, when I tried to retrieve the cfg file in this manner I was directed to a 'cannot connect' page in chrome.

I decided to look at the configuration of one of the phones that are currently working, still a T42S. I logged in as admin and went to Phones, selected one of the T42S and clicked the config button, however, I did not see the text file version of the config but a 404 on the popup window where the config should have been.

This greatly disturbed me and I checked another extension provisioned with a working T42S and had the same result. I then checked one of the extensions with a T64S and same result. No matter what extension, that was currently in use and working could I view the config.

Let me note that at this point I was worried I might be on the cusp of a major issue and as a result performed a new install and restored a back of the config, license, and fqdn etc. After the restore, everything came back up with no issues, and I was able to reprovision the T42S as intended without a problem afterward.

I still have the Old Server and have not yet removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCTECHZONE
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.