• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

SIP Trunk to Analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorC

Customer
Reaction score
Hi all, does Patton or some other company make a device to go from a SIP trunk to an Analog output? Basically SIP back to POT line.

Hi VictorC,

SIP to analogue yes definitely. IE: 3CX phone system to POTS.

You need to be looking at the Patton 4112 or 4114 JO unit this will give you 2 or 4 Analogue POTS lines (although more are available if required).

They are also fully supported with 3CX phone system.

Although please be clearer on what you mean by SIP trunk to analogue line as this could be different.

Please advise.

Hello, this would be the reverse of that. This would be incoming SIP trunk and then converting it to a analog line.

That would be FXS.
FXO is originate and FXS is station.

Many companies offer this. I use Dinstar which like many others have units with both FXO and FXS on one device although 3CX sees it as two devices.

Hi Jimbo, how would this work? Sip to Analog, so an old POS system can get it, then back to 3cx. would the device do all that?

FXS gives you analog stations. Then you plug your fax, old phone, alarm, etc. into it. Easy peasy.

Reactions: complex1
Office...originate...who cares. The key is to know the difference.

The only combi capable units supported by 3CX are the beronet gateways and this is only because they are modular.

Patton do combi units also but these variants are not supported by 3CX phone system.

If you can I would always recommend staying with supported models despite the fact that the Patton units are far superior.

Office...originate...who cares. The key is to know the difference.

Because you have more credibility when you use the correct terms.
If it were "Originate", then the other end would be called FXT... for terminate.
The terms have been around much longer, in the telephony world, than VoIP has.

Last edited:
Reactions: complex1
I doubt it actually.

Leejor, how would you do this and make it 3cx "safe" The hard part it looks like is taking the SIP and making it a analog for their old POS system. I'm not sure how you would do both in the same box.

I'm not clear on what you mean by 3CX "safe". You may need to provide more of a description of what you are intending to do.

If by "taking the SIP and making it a analog", you mean taking a VoIP providers service (Ethernet jack), and having dialtone and ringing come out of a box, then you need an ATA (analogue telephone adapter), which is an FXS. In essence, the same sort of device you'd be supplied with if you subscribed to a service, such as Vonage. From the RJ11, or other two-wire interface, you would connect that to an analogue trunk connection of a device, or simply to a telephone. An ATA can be a single, or multiple line device. If you are not concerned with 3CX compatibility, then the selection is quite varied. If the "provider" is a 3CX PBX, to an analogue set/device, then you'll probably want to stick to a 3CX compatible device for ease of provisioning. Any device not supported by 3CX doesn't mean it won't work, it just means you will probably have to manually provision it.

https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

The hard part it looks like is taking the SIP and making it a analog for their old POS system. I'm not sure how you would do both in the same box.

OK this may make a little more sense as to what you want to do. So to confirm - you don't want to use 3CX currently at all ? or maybe you do but you want to migrate your analogue PBX across to 3CX.

Now ignoring the Broadworks part (or maybe replacing it with 3CX) take a look at this guide and confirm if any of the scenarios match what you need:
https://www.patton.com/guides/07GTBW-SOV.pdf

If they do then you will require a Patton. BeroNet are combi compatible and "supported" by 3CX but Patton are more intelligent and flexible.

We are really doing 2 things here, Going from Ethernet (VOIP) to Analog for a old POS System, but we also want to take that into a new 3cx box. Will a Patton Gateway do that? I'm not up on all the things the Patton and others can do.

Slow migration would be tricky with Analogue (ISDN is fine) with a POT's line there is no signalling, the call is delivered directly to the line itself and then it rings.

If you have an exchange line but multiple AUX (same number, multiple lines) they would all need to be migrated simultaneously.

I think that your best options are to either get a Patton gateway with an equivalent number of FXO ports or get the 3CX system prepared with a SIP trunk and then get the telephone number ported to the SIP trunk.

The numbers will be a SIP trunk, problem is they have an old POS system that has to be analog, and then use 3cx.

Slow migration would be tricky with Analogue (ISDN is fine) with a POT's line there is no signalling, the call is delivered directly to the line itself and then it rings.

If you have an exchange line but multiple AUX (same number, multiple lines) they would all need to be migrated simultaneously.

I think that your best options are to either get a Patton gateway with an equivalent number of FXO ports or get the 3CX system prepared with a SIP trunk and then get the telephone number ported to the SIP trunk.

I would go with an ATA device, with enough capacity, that is 3CX compatible. It can be used to convert the SIP trunks to analogue lines, compatible with existing equipment. When you convert over to 3CX, it can then be used for any analogue extensions, off the PBX.

if I go with an ATA and it's now in Analog, how would you fork it then to an old POS system and to 3cx at the same time? That's really the trouble.

It would depend on whether your current provider allows forking. If they don't then you are out of luck trying to use both systems at the same time, which may be for the good anyway. You could get a second trunk group for the 3CX install. Let your provider, or the new on you decide to go with, that you will want to port your existing numbers over once you have done all of your configuration and testing on the 3CX PBX. They can probably assign you some temporary numbers to do testing with.

Running two installations side by side, with the same public numbers, at the same time, is just asking for problems.

Test everything, and when you are happy, do a flash cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quantinium
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.