• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Hotdesking behind Session Border Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc911

Free User
Reaction score
Hello,
we are using hotdesking with Yealink T29G phones. (3CX V15.5.9348.3, Yealink FW 46.82.0.20 from 3CX, SBC V15.5.5932)

This works well with phones in the company network: Changing profiles is reasonable fast and has a 100% success rate.

But it does not work with phones behind a Session Border Controller: Doing the same here results in no change on the phone most of the time. Some times the status LED starts blinking red but thats all, one time I really managed to change the profile. In the management console you can see that the profile changes.
Only way to use hotdesking here is to reboot the phone after profile selection which results in a phone booting into its old profile and then, after about one minute, switching to the new one.

Is there anything we can do about this? Anyone having this problem too?

Kind regards
sc911

Hi sc911,

Firstly can you confirm that you have port 5001 (or whatever port you are using for HTTPS) open on the firewall. This is required for provisioning of the phone(s).

Also please confirm the firmware is the latest supported by 3CX. Check you management console interface for updates. I currently see versions 46.82.0.30 and 46.83.0.10 on the Yealink website but whether they have been approved by 3CX yet I am uncertain of - worth checking.

http://support.yealink.com/documentFront/forwardToDocumentDetailPage?documentId=15

Hello @sc911

In addition to what eddv123 said make sure that the phones are provisioned using PnP or else Hotdeskign will not work behind the SBC.

Hello,
sorry for my late reply and thanks for all your answers.

Firmware 46.82.0.20 is the latest from 3cx: https://www.3cx.com/support/phone-firmwares/
I will try using the newest from yealink for a test but actually would like to use an approved one.

HTTPS-Port is open and using the provisioning URL incl. MAC-address I can download the config file for that phone from external (and from where the SBC is located).

Phone is provisioned the following way from factory:
- Add Let's Encrypt Root Cert to trusted store
- C&P provisioning URL to "Settings, Auto Provision, Server URL"
- Click "Autoprovision Now"
This is working perfectly from external (and from where the SBC is located).

As I don't have hope in the newest yealink firmware: any other ideas what do do?

Thanks for all your help!

Phone is provisioned the following way from factory:
- Add Let's Encrypt Root Cert to trusted store
- C&P provisioning URL to "Settings, Auto Provision, Server URL"
- Click "Autoprovision Now"

You should not have to do any of this, just a straight forward factory default which should send PNP to the 3CX server

As above provisioning needs to be done via PNP

https://www.3cx.com/docs/hot-desking/

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
OK, that’s nice! I really do not have to do this! Using 3cx for years now, but always sticked to DHCP option 66 provisioning for internal phones and manual as described above for external ones. Thanks for that eye opener!

Going this way hotdesking also works behind SBC!

One point though: it takes pretty long until the phone is done switching accounts. You can count minutes on that. This is not happening in the local net although it takes some time here too.

Any tips on speeding this up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxFrank
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.