• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Program BLF to dial two numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Nush

Reaction score
Hello,

I work for a school district and we have lockdown buttons on our Main Office Phones. This dials into our intercom system, which triggers a lockdown message through the intercom system. Our administrators would like this button to call 911 also. How can I program one BLF to dial two different numbers. It needs to dial the intercom system to trigger the lockdown, and then dial 911. It can do this at the same time, or separately. The intercom only needs a few seconds to start the lockdown, then it can call 911. Is there any sort of call sequencing available? Thanks.

Without some other use for what you have described, ( it's certainly not something I've seen before), it's unlikely that a BLF button could do this as is. Since the intercom system would "answer", that is as far as that call will go. You might consider a device that is triggered when the lockdown happens, that calls 911 and plays a recording to the operator (not too sure how well that would go over with the 911 monitoring centre). Perhaps sending the call to a Digital Receptionist with options...press 1 to trigger lockdown. Hang up, call again, press 2 to call 911.

Others on the forum may have additional ideas.

You could setup a ring group for multiple outside numbers, if you want.

You could setup a ring group for multiple outside numbers, if you want.
The problem with that is, once the first one answers, it stops calling the next one. I need it to right two calls at the same time, independent of each other.

Without some other use for what you have described, ( it's certainly not something I've seen before), it's unlikely that a BLF button could do this as is. Since the intercom system would "answer", that is as far as that call will go. You might consider a device that is triggered when the lockdown happens, that calls 911 and plays a recording to the operator (not too sure how well that would go over with the 911 monitoring centre). Perhaps sending the call to a Digital Receptionist with options...press 1 to trigger lockdown. Hang up, call again, press 2 to call 911.

Others on the forum may have additional ideas.

I think this is the solution I need to go with. Unless anyone else has any ideas.

Does 3CX have any devices that will trigger a contact closure? I could program the intercom to work with a contact closure, and a stand alone alarm dialer to call 911. If 3CX won't work, then I'll have to look at a separate panic button at the main office. I just don't like the idea of so many different parts having to work together. Too many points of failure.

The problem with that is, once the first one answers, it stops calling the next one. I need it to right two calls at the same time, independent of each other.

The problem with having the second still ringing with the first answered is the fact that there's still only 1 phone to answer them. For example, you could pick up the first, and then have the second still ring but you can't pick it up obviously.
Also, the call needs 2 SIP trunks because it's 2 different calls.

I think the answer to your question is a qualified "yes" provided we can issue a command to perform the lock down via code rather than by a phone call. I would be very surprised if a phone call is the only option. If you can initiate the process via code, then a CFD application can do both. You can assign the CFD extension to a BLF.

I suppose we could even hack a solution for the phone call approach using MakeCall and a softphone.

it looks like you can just call it and use DTMF to change the state of the outputs. might work out to be fairly easy with it setup as an extension. i'll do some more research

i just verified this with a pa1 that i have here. on the pa1, io2 has 4 pins. pins 1 and 2 starting from the right as you're looking into the connector on the device have 12vdc on them. pins 3 and 4 have 0vdc. if you call the extension the device is setup, it auto answers by default (setting in webgui), pressing 3# (DTMF) takes pin 3 and 4 to hi to 3.3 vdc. pressing 3* takes it back low to 0v

I've been thinking about implementing something like this to be used as a fire alarm (fire button on all phones)

found an explanation here:
https://att.vtp-media.com/products/PA/PA1/UM_PA1_en.pdf

maybe this will help. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.