• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved 407 Proxy Authentication Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadragon

Reaction score
Hi all,

Setting up three new external DID lines. They are set up in 3CX, but whenever I call them on my cell to test, I get a "This number is not in service" recorded error message.

The local provider monitored the lines and saw this error. "407 Proxy Authorization" which requires a passphrase, I believe.

How do I authorize this in the system? I don't think we need a passphrase on these lines.

fwnoDbt.jpg

Last edited:
Edit the sip line, and under Authentication you probably need to change it to 'Register/Account Based'

You will need a username and password

Edit the sip line, and under Authentication you probably need to change it to 'Register/Account Based'

You will need a username and password
Howdy,

The first DID we installed months ago does not have a UN or PW and it is working fine. The provider is also telling us there is none required.

Setting up three new external DID lines. They are set up in 3CX, but whenever I call them on my cell to test, I get a "This number is not in service" recorded error message.

Do I take this to mean that there are existing DIDs, that are working, at the same site? if that is the case, then, in the 3CX Activity log, compare a working DID call with one of the new numbers. There may not be a proper match with the new DID number(s) in the rules.

Hello @Shadragon

The local provider monitored the lines and saw this error. "407 Proxy Authorization" which requires a passphrase, I believe.
I am guessing you are seeing this in incoming calls, correct?
That indicates that you have Source ID issues as the format of the numbers sent by your provider do not match the numbers you added as DIDs and as the PBX does not recognise the DID asks for Authorisation.

Questions:
Is this a supported provider?
Is the provider IP based or does it require a username and password?
Do you have multiple trunks?

As leejor suggested, check the activity log and see the format the provider sends the number in and match your DIDs to that. If that does not work you might need to enable the source identification option but to do that we need to know more about the configuration to set the correct settings there.

Reactions: Manny783
Hi YiannisH_3CX,

The first DID from the same provider we set up works like a charm. The next three have identical incoming rules (save the phone numbers being different, of course).

How do I go about engaging support on this as we're getting into areas where I am unable to comment in detail publicly due to our company policy. PM me if needed. Thanks.

Have a look at the 3CX Activity Log. Compare a DID call that work, with one that fails. In the log for the working call, note the DID number being sent, and how that compares (matches) to the number you have in the DID inbound rules. then compare with the failing call(s).

The first DID from the same provider we set up works like a charm. The next three have identical incoming rules (save the phone numbers being different, of course).
The first DID is probably the main trunk number which all calls are routed to. If you change that inbound rule the main trunk number destination will also change.
In general what can you try to get this working:
Make sure that you do not have the same DIDs under different trunks.
Make sure that your DIDs match the number format sent by the provider in their Invite messages
If you have multiple trunks from the same provider you may need to have to configure Source Identification parameters.

How do I go about engaging support on this as we're getting into areas where I am unable to comment in detail publicly due to our company policy. PM me if needed. Thanks.
If you would like for support to get involved you can open a ticket with our support department. You can have your reseller open a ticket for you or you can purchase a ticket.
https://www.3cx.com/ordering/

Have a look at the 3CX Activity Log. Compare a DID call that work, with one that fails. In the log for the working call, note the DID number being sent, and how that compares (matches) to the number you have in the DID inbound rules. then compare with the failing call(s).
In the Call Log, I only see the main line and not the three that are being refused. Is there a more detailed log elsewhere?

It's the Activity Log that you want to look at.

Sorry for the delay, we installed a new 64 call license and I had to uninstall and reinstall everything.

Test calls placed and nothing appears in the activity log from the three new phone lines.

In the SIP XDR log provided by our provider it says for the three new lines:

Session Result: "Client Failure (4)" and Response Code: "407 Proxy Authentication Required (407)"

For the original line, that works, it says

Session Result: "Success (0)" and Response Code: "200 OK (200)"

what provider?
goto the activity log and run a capture there (capture button)
then make the test call.
then stop it and either review in wireshark to see the format of the phone number, or send me a link to the capture in a private conversation.

OK, my issue is solved and I want to thank craigreilly for the offline assist.

The incoming call to the DID number was in the format of 1XXXXXXXXXX, but the DID was set up in 3CX as XXXXXXX. By adding an asterisk in front of the DID number in both the SIP Trunk and Incoming Rule, it then forwarded the call properly.

*XXXXXXX

To be clear, the first DID I set up in the XXXXXXX format worked fine. Only additional DID's added to the same SIP Trunk require the *. Can't say why, but that is indeed the case here.

Glad to see that issue has been resolved and thank you for updating the thread with your solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.