• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX client phone book name resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

denko2k

Customer
Reaction score
Setup
- always latest 3CX version
- Snom phones
- Snom phones and CTI-clients/soft-phones are on different LANs but connected by a router (TCP ports open between both LANs: 80, 443, 5001, 5060, 5061, 5090; UDP ports open between both LANs: all)
- the PBX is on the same LAN as the phones
- CTI works fine
- Calls with the windows client work fine (soft phone)

E165
- Outlook/Exchange contacts are in E165 format
- 3CX E164 Processing Settings: "Process E164 Numbers": active

Office 365 setup
- sync of contacts/phone book works fine with the "Impersonated Account to Setup MS Exchange Server to 3CX Phonebook Synchronization"

3CX Windows Client
Replace the plus sign with 00: active

Problem: phone book name resolution

incoming call:
phone book resolution works fine with the 3CX client in CTI mode
(national and international numbers)

outgoing call:
1)
phone book name resolution does only work with national numbers
example: if a number like 01711234567 is called, the call list will show number and name as it should
(number stored in phone book)
2)
if a number like 00491711234567 is called (number stored in phone book) the call list only shows the called number without the name (because it will translate it into 00491711234567)
3)
if a number like +491711234567 is called (number stored in phone book) the call list only shows the called number without the name (because it will translate it into 00491711234567)

There is a recommendation from 3cx to solve this problem?

Is the name not being "picked up" from the sets internal phone book? That's my understanding, it is done in the same manner as you mobile phone. If the set cannot find a number in it's directory, that make an exact match, then no name will show. I suppose it's assumed that you will be dialling the same number, using the same dial format, each time. The sets manufacturer would have to make a wildcard option available to allow a match on the last X number of digits.

yes. the name is picked up from the 3cx phonebook.
A wildcard option with a match on the last digits would be a solution. I could not find something like this in 3cx.

Hello @denko2k

Inside the management console please navigate to Contacts / Options and set the option "Match Caller ID's to a contact entry" to "Match at least X number of characters" and choose the amount of characters the number needs to match the contact.

Reactions: denko2k
Hi @YiannisH_3CX

Thank you. This was set to 6 already, and this works fine with incoming calls.
Example:

Incoming call from 099112345678 (Number in phonebook): phone book name resolution works fine

Outgoing call to the same number 099112345678: the Windows client shows the called number only, without the contact name; it does not matter how the number is called 099112345678 or 004999112345678 or +4999112345678: no name is shown

In the 3CX console: in contact:
If I seach for 6 digits for the number above: 345678 the result is just that one contact. There it is unique.

By the way:
about 6000 contacts are imported from Office 365/Exchange Online

Outgoing call to the same number 099112345678: the Windows client shows the called number only, without the contact name; it does not matter how the number is called 099112345678 or 004999112345678 or +4999112345678: no name is shown
How is the contact saved in the management console? If you save it to exactly match the dialled number does that work? Do you have any strip or prepend any digits in your outbound rules?
Also are there any spaces in the contact numbers?

hello.

Contact in Outlook/Exchange: +49 (171) 1234567
with brackets, with spaces, with +

After import into 3cx the format is like this: +49171123456
in the management console, no spaces, no brackets, but with +

If I save the number in the that format: 00491711234567
in the management console, that it works!

Outbound rules:
No rules except emergency call, no prepend or striped digits

Thank you for the information and for reporting this.
I was able to replicate the issue using the 3CX client for windows.
We will need to look into the issue and see what is causing this before we can provide a fix.
For now you can try using the web client as the issue does not seem to affect that.
Thank you for your help with this.

hello.
Thank you very much for your help. It is good to hear that improvements are done and issues are taken care of. 3CX is a great product. As a system admin I recommend it every day.

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind feedback. We are trying to improve with every release and make the PBX easier to setup and maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.