• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Hearing the ring on incoming call

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeroendo

Customer
Reaction score
I can't seem to figure out how to let the phone ring on incoming calls.
When someone calls in now, they hear one of our random on-hold music and our phone rings.
Is there a way to have them just listen to normal rings?

Sounds like you are sending inbound calls to a queue. You could send them to a ring group, or you could set the on-hold music for your queue to a wav file that contains phone ringing.

Sounds like you are sending inbound calls to a queue. You could send them to a ring group, or you could set the on-hold music for your queue to a wav file that contains phone ringing.
That's exactly it, inbound calls go to a queue.
I thought that's how it was supposed to be to use the callflow designer?
I'll see if adding on-hold music works, thanks!

I added the on hold music as a normal ringback but I still get the on hold music we have for normal holds. Not sure what I'm doing incorrect.

If you are developing a CFD application, technically, you are correct it is a queue. However, if your CFD application is working correctly it will not behave like a queue (you will NEVER hear on-hold music for example). I could argue that 3CX simply needed a place to "host" the CFD application extension and chose to do it as a queue (the previous version VAD was hosted as a digital receptionist). Perhaps you better explain what you are trying to accomplish. I don't want to send you down a rabbit hole only to discover I'm offering solutions that don't apply to what you are trying to achieve. The more information you provide the better our answers will be. :)

Oh thank you!

See right now, I have it set up that from 8a-12p it goes to extension 900, if busy it goes to extension 901, if that's busy, it goes to the rest of the office. From 12p-1p it plays a lunch message saying we'll be back at 1pm. Then from 1p-5p it does what it did from 8a-12p. From 5p-8a the next day, it goes to an after hours message.

upload_2018-5-21_11-15-11.png
Right now when people call in, they hear our hold music, and we'd just like to hear a normal ring.

This ringback tone here, basically, just much shorter obviously:

I tried specifying the incoming ring of a normal ringback tone here: upload_2018-5-21_11-16-6.png
But I still get the hold music specified elsewhere.

Does that make sense? I may be doing something wrong.

Thanks again

Assuming your CFD application is working correctly, it should instantly transfer the caller to the desired end destination (in milliseconds) and it is the end location (extension) specified by the transfer component that is controlling what the caller hears. If you are hearing on-hold music, the only possibilities are (1) you have not successfully installed your CFD application, or (2) you have transferred to the MainIncomming extension. Are the phones configured for the MainIncoming destination ringing?

I have the two extension, 900/901, set up as "Agents" in the Call Queue. This is where I think it may be incorrect. If I just leave them off of there, the CFD should still send it to extension 900, correct?

Edit: Since in the call flow design, MainIncoming is 900, there probably should not be a need for the agents, I mean.

Nevermind just tried removing them both from the queue and still got the hold music. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

You should not be adding any agents (extensions) to the CFD queue. Remember, in spite of the CFD being uploaded to a queue, it will not function as a queue. Rather, you need to make a separate call queue (or perhaps a ring group) and have your CFD transfer to this separate extension (ring group). By the way, queues play on-hold music and ring groups play "ringing". There are some differences between ring groups and call queues, but in may ways they do the same thing. If you are not familiar with the differences, I encourage you to learn more. You may find ring groups are a better fit for you. All depends on what you need.

That's so weird. I removed 900 completely and just had it go to an extension (mine) and it still rang our hold music. I created a ring group and tried that, and it still rang our hold music.

Then I believe your CFD application is not executing as expected. When you go into the queue that is hosting your CFD, does it show the CFD application in the Voice apps field? (3CX Management Console --> Call Queues --> <queue> --> Voice apps) Is the Voice apps check box currently "checked"? For test calls, your call path should be something like this:

inbound call --> queue hosting the CFD --> ring group.

Yes the "Voice apps" box is checked in the queue.
The right ring group rings and everything is working correctly, just for some reason it gives me the on hold music when calling in.
upload_2018-5-21_14-3-49.png
The name of the voiceapp is COC.
I created a new one that removed 900 and instead used the ring group, and tested, still went to the on hold music.
Then I removed the ring group and tested going directly to an extension and same result.

The call is not going where you expect. You can enable CDR files (settings --> CDR) and it will tell you precisely where the call is going. The file is created once you hang up.

Oh thanks. I enabled it and made a bunch of calls but I don't see any logs yet.
I even ssh'd to the box and went to /var/lib/3cxpbx/Data/Logs but still nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.