• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TagleRock

Bronze Partner
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Hello All,

We have a 3CX server in place on Debian. We have 6 extensions and 11 phones, 6 of which are desk phones, 5 of which are soft phones. I am beginning to notice some lag every once in a while on our desk phones. I went and checked our server and the RAM usage seems to be very high, 74%, and its been steadily climbing, we are using Polycoms, which i know are legacy but they were left over from our old provider. Either way I have read that legacy phones can cause SIP flooding which eventually causes the server to become non-responsive, but i haven't seen anything like that in the captures i've taken. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this, I don't think the small number of phones we have should be enough to overload our server or put that much of a load on it. Details of our environment are below.

Number of extensions: 6
Number of phones: 11 (6 Polycom VVX 300's, 5 3CX clients)
Version: 15.5.10244.4
Specs:
200 GB Virtual Disk, 4 GB of RAM, 2 vCPU's (Host CPU is two Xeon E5345)

Special notes:
Phones do have a config template, but the only thing modified was the ring tones, everything else is default.

Which process is using up the memory? You can use the command 'top' to check memory and cpu usage per process.

Hello @TagleRock

Does the memory usage drop if you restart the PBX services? Also what is the logging level of the PBX? Navigate to Dashboard / Activity log / Settings and make sure that you are not on verbose logging as that might put some stress on the machine

@benitok - the machine hadn't been restarted since we did the initial implementation, hadn't been a reason to, so to get to the cli commands on the console of the machine i had to reboot it, but this reset the memory usage, so now i'm going to have to wait a week or so for it to climb back up.

@YiannisH_3CX - It dropped after rebooted the server. Logging level is set to low.

Monitor the situation and see if the memory usage increases in time and what is using the memory. Let s know of the results.

The memory usage is at about 12% right now but the phones are lagging horribly, after a reboot they are fine, is this a known issue with Polycoms? Lag being, for example, you press the headset button and it takes a few seconds to get a dial tone, if you are on a call and you press mute then it takes a few seconds to actually mute the call. I am going to hook up a grandstream in a little bit and see if that makes a difference on the lag.

@TagleRock I've gotten random reports of VVX phones lagging. It wasn't doing this on earlier versions of 3CX but after upgrading to v15.5 we've been some complaints. Nothing we've been able to duplicate but it's happened for a number of customers. Only fix seems to be rebooting the phone.

Bummer on the VVX phones. We actually have some customers we wanted to switch over to 3CX, but now we have to convince them to replace all of their Polycoms, oh well

On another note the memory usage is steadily climbing, its climbing slowly, but steadily and hasn't gone down. so far its at 18 percent, i've attached a screenshot of top running the server, it looks like the management console is using up the most memory right now, but it may be to early to tell anything at this point.

Attachments

• top_ss.png
    top_ss.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 28
Keep an eye on the issue and let me know if the memory usage of the management console keeps going up. Please note that there have been a few cases where the management console memory usage increases and optimisations will be made in the next service pack release to prevent this from happening.

The usage is still steadily climbing, but the management console memory has stayed pretty much the same, while the "3CXPhoneSystem" process has more than doubled in RAM usage. It may still be to early to tell but it seems like that may be the culprit. Memory usage is currently at 26%.

Attachments

• ss__top_2.png
    ss__top_2.png
    52 KB · Views: 17
Checked this morning and the memory usage has picked up quite a bit, its now at 45%, and I am pretty sure the 3CXPhonesystem process is the issue, its now at 18.8% memory usage as you'll see in the attached screen shot, any ideas?

Attachments

• ss_top_3.png
    ss_top_3.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 12
Hello @TagleRock and thank you for the update,

In that case i would recommend that you create a ticket with our support department so they can look into the issue and see what is causing the memory increase.

I've submitted a ticket, they wanted me to turn on verbose logging, i'll send them the logs after a few days of collection. I'll post back here with any solution they provide.

Reactions: DSXDATA
I've submitted a ticket, they wanted me to turn on verbose logging, i'll send them the logs after a few days of collection. I'll post back here with any solution they provide
Please keep us updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TECHXNEPAL
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.