• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Line Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doberman_Tech

Reaction score
So I am running into an issue with a client where they have 3 lines that are public face and 2 that are private lines. The issue they are having is it seems that when they call out the calls are only going out the 3 public facing lines. They are requesting to have a line button on the phone that when they use that it allows the calls to manually go out the private lines like their old Avya system was. Is this possible to do? When I go to try and put the line keys on the phone it doesn't allow me to select which gateway to send it out.

All outside (trunk) calls are routed using outbound rules. The rules can be based on the number dialled and which extensions dial that number. If you want some calls to route over the "private trunks", then you must create rules to do that. Rules are followed, top to bottom, first match is acted upon.

https://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/outbound-rules-a-complete-example/

I understand the outbound rules but they are asking for a physical line key to press for outbound dialing

You need to use custom template and program the line key as another extension number or custom template , remove the programming of the line key you are going to use and manually add the extra account by the phone web frontend (this way you can still program the extra keys via the 3cx management console)

On outbound rules, check for this extension and push call down the correct trunk

What phones are you using ?

Last edited:
Using yealink T46G's

Sorry, I had assumed that you were already using different extension numbers on each of the line keys.

You can also "direct" calls to specific trunks with a prefix. As an example, prefixing the number with an "8" would send the call out on one of the "private" trunks, from any extension, with the proper outbound rules. If you use a "9" for "normal calls, then adapting to that is not difficult.

So I decided to go the easy route and have the calls just route out their private lines. Only problem now is that their caller ID shows the number they are calling out on instead of the set caller ID I have on that particular gateway. I called their provider (ATT) and as they are on POTS lines they have no way to change the caller ID or shut it off and pass mine along. Anyone got any idea's on a work around or am I stuck unless I get a different provider?

If you use POTS lines, all you can do is (possibly), send the blocking prefix, to cause "private" to be sent as Caller ID instead. Normally (in North America) that would be *67, but, many gateways don't allow you to send the *. You may be able to use 1167, as 11 was the rotary dial substitution for *. You could create a new outbound rule that would automatically add the prefix onto numbers, to make it easy, when users wish to do that. Hopefully that will work, however, many people will not answer calls with blocked numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.