• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX seamless integration, ring groups and design questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

A3cxUser

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to come up with a plan for a project I am currently working on. We will be upgrading our non voip System of phones to a Voip System and we are currently looking into what 3cx can do for us. We are using 3cx 15.5.10244.4

The concept is thus, we want the extension and its paired IP phone to be conceptually just a desk location and the user to be more of a transient concept, they can use any desk they want to. When they log into our software they will be assigned to their own personal ring group where the assigned extension for the group will be of the deskphone on the desk they are sat. When the user is called, their ring group is called, this should be fine for inbound calls, but they will have to use our own proprietary software to use the API makecall method to make a call themselves without dialing the phone manually so we can set the call originator to their group.

Then of course there are the recordings, both of the call and answer machine messages. I have worked out their locations and found that the ring group can have its calls directed to the right answer machine, but I have also read that these messages will be emailed and deleted if there is an email address set for the extension that is pointed to by a ring group.

Would the idea of ring groups work and would the recordings become an issue if there is no email address set?

The hotdesking approach would work but I can find no way to cause a phone to be logged in with the API, we could use the yealink action url to cause a log in, but that would mean multiple http requests to the phone, as from what i can tell we cant send a string of key presses as one http request in one go.

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Maybe it's late in the day, but I'm having a little trouble following everything you are wanting to accomplish. Let's start with item #1

The concept is thus, we want the extension and its paired IP phone to be conceptually just a desk location and the user to be more of a transient concept, they can use any desk they want to. When they log into our software they will be assigned to their own personal ring group where the assigned extension for the group will be of the deskphone on the desk they are sat. When the user is called, their ring group is called, this should be fine for inbound calls,

I see no reason why you couldn't have generic extensions, however, I question how many places would potentially need to updated so that calls to this person are directed to the correct extension. I think this is what hotdesking is used for.

but they will have to use our own proprietary software to use the API makecall method to make a call themselves without dialing the phone manually so we can set the call originator to their group.
If you use hotdesking, this is taken care of automatically.

Then of course there are the recordings, both of the call and answer machine messages. I have worked out their locations and found that the ring group can have its calls directed to the right answer machine, but I have also read that these messages will be emailed and deleted if there is an email address set for the extension that is pointed to by a ring group.
It seems we are talking about two different things, voicemails and recordings. Recordings are never forwarded as attachments to emails, but voicemails can be. You have the option of keeping the voicemail on your phone, or sending as an email attachment and deleting the voicemail from 3CX, or making the voicemail available both on the phone AND sent as an attachment.

Would the idea of ring groups work and would the recordings become an issue if there is no email address set?
Does not apply. You don't have to delete the voicemail when it is forwarded as an attachment to an email. Recordings are never emailed, but you can delete them vial the phone client or via the Recordings retention policy.

The hotdesking approach would work but I can find no way to cause a phone to be logged in with the API, we could use the yealink action url to cause a log in, but that would mean multiple http requests to the phone, as from what i can tell we cant send a string of key presses as one http request in one go.
I don't know if it is possible to use the 3CX Call Control API to automatically log in a user to a hotdesk phone. Never tried that one, but I don't see this as a huge deal if it cannot be done. You could login to the phone, then login to your software. Yes, two logins, but it's not a show stopper. I wouldn't be concerned about multiple http requests. Heavens, when you open a simple web page it makes potentially hundreds of HTTP requests. And you are only doing this twice a day -- once to login, and once to logout.

Reactions: A3cxUser
Thank you very much for your time!
Give me some time and I will take this away with me and give it some thought. It had become a little muddled in my mind.

Once again, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.