• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Directly call an Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

seb

Forum User
Reaction score
I'm not able to directly call any extension. I've read different things about how & if it is possible at all the last days. https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/call-an-extension-directly.46881/ (Unfortunately, I cannot reply to this thread) says, that it should be a feature by default?

I've also tried creating an DID in my SIP Account containing the extension, like *1234322, where 322 being the extension, created an inbound rule to forward to extension 322. However, the rule is never "fired", no matter which order I put the rules. Moreover, I can't see having to create an inbound rule for every extension.

The call log is showing, that the call is never routed to the extension.

My SIP Provider already checked the settings on his end regarding this issue.

More information required please:

Please advise where your extension is and how it is connected to 3CX (SBC/STUN, local etc).
Do any other extensions work OK ? what is the endpoint, phone brand and model ?

If you trace this issue what do you get in the logs and/or PCAP trace ?

If you remove all the DDI settings, does the incoming call follow the SIP setup for call flow ?

If that works, look at the activity log and see how the number is being passed to 3CX.

When you have the above info, you need to create the DDI numbers under the SIP trunk (DIDs tab) and then create DDI inbound rules -
https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/inbound-did-call-routing/

Note : DDI numbers can contain * for wildcard

The wildcard is like magic. 4 digits isn't quite enough ... 7 is good... the more the better. don't want any overlap.
And yes -1 rule per DID. Thats what the DID rule does. It routes the call to the right place.
Not everyone has DID's that "match" part of their extensions. Some create extensions based on their DID's. Some companies have a handful of DID's for special purposes only... Fax, Conference, Voicemail. Backline, Helpdesk, etc.

Please advise where your extension is and how it is connected to 3CX (SBC/STUN, local etc).
Do any other extensions work OK ? what is the endpoint, phone brand and model ?

All Extensions are local, working fine for internal calls, as well as for outgoing calls. The Number shown on a mobile phone receiving the call shows the full number incl. extension. It does not seem to be a network issue.

If you remove all the DDI settings, does the incoming call follow the SIP setup for call flow ?

If that works, look at the activity log and see how the number is being passed to 3CX.

No matter what or if I set anything at all in Inbound Rules, a call coming from outside is routed to queue 100, as set in SIP Trunk Main Number. Call log just shows this Q.

When you have the above info, you need to create the DDI numbers under the SIP trunk (DIDs tab) and then create DDI inbound rules -
https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/inbound-did-call-routing/

That's what I did, yes.

The wildcard is like magic. 4 digits isn't quite enough ... 7 is good... the more the better. don't want any overlap.

I'm using wildcards, actually I just replaced first 0 by *. But it does not matter, how I set the DID Number.
Is there anything I have to set for Inbound Parameters to use the extension from outside?

The number shown on a mobile phone is generally the number in the trunk setup or the extensions ->general->Outbound Caller ID field.

This is the boiled down version.

1) Buy Trunk
2) Buy DID's from trunk Provider
3) Add Trunk to 3cx
4) confirm outbound calls and inbound calls on primary number entered in step 3.
5) add Inbound Rules - you can add the number from step 3 as well for easier manipulation.
6) Test inbound call using the specific DID's from step 2.

Again - look at the activity log to see the number presentation.

You could add this to trunk->caller id setup to remove a plus on the inbound call. We do this so ensure the number is shown like we are used to in the US... digits only. But you may not even need this... but it could help if that is being sent and confusing things.
cid.png

Problem Solved, Thanks for your support.

You need to check the activity log to see what number is being presented to 3CX (not call log)

I set the Activity Logging Setting to Medium. Using the detailed log I figured out that the number called was missing the last digit of the extension. As my SIP Provider was able to make some test calls successfully to the extension, we noticed that only calling from my personal phone the extension was cut. As we used a test-number, the Number incl. the ext. had 18 digits.

So the main learning here is: Use different external providers for testing ;)

Concerning the DID: In Austria we don't need to buy DIDs. We can just use them. The steps I'm following to configure them:
  1. Create Extension
  2. Configure DID in SIP Account for the Extension
  3. Create an Inbound Rule for the DID forwarding to the Extension
From my point of view, there should be the option to enable direct extension calling without the need of doing Step 2+3.

Glad to see the issue has been resolved and thank you for updating the thread with your solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iTVerse
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.