• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Ntt Flets PSTN gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andriy

Customer
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I live in Japan.
I am looking at connecting my existing Flets NTT Hikari Denwa (optical fiber) phone to my existing 3cx setup (hosted in cloud by 3cx).

My questions are:
1) is it possible to connect a gateway if my phones and gateway is in my office, while 3cx setup is in Cloud hosted by 3cx?
2) what gateway should I use? Will Patton SmartNode SN4112 be ok? How do I find out what type of PSTN network I am using and how to match the gateway that will work with it?

thank you

3CX support gateways for FXS (legacy endpoints such as handsets), FXO (analogue lines) ISDN (E1/T1) and GSM only: https://www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/

Patton (who are a supported gateway provider) do provide kit for these sort of applications but they would not be in regards to 3CX - please advise what the use case would be (why you want to do this) ?

Reactions: Andriy
Dear eddv123

Thanks for reply.
How do I find out if my PSTN line is FXO (analogue lines) or ISDN (E1/T1)

I think as it goes by fiber together with internet - it is for sure ISDN (E1/T1) but then the signal is converted to analog signal via NTT router, so that end-users connect their regular home phones. I instead, want to connect 3cx gateway to where a normal non-sip phone is usually connected.

Here is a picture of my router.
setup_rt-200ki_step01.gif

it has

1) 1 WAN Opical fiber connection port, that provides internet
2) 4 LAN outputs to give internet to computers
3) 2 FXO or FXS lines used to connect normal non-SIP phones. As i understand SIP signal goes into router and converted to analog to connect normal phones. I would have to convert it back.

Unfortunately, there is no way to find out SIP credentials for main line that is delivered by fiber and connect it as a sip trunk. Seems like the only way is to convert the signal back from Analog to SIP and connect it to 3cx Cloud via gateway.

Thank you

How do I find out if my PSTN line is FXO (analogue lines) or ISDN (E1/T1)

If it were me, I would see if the customer can provide you with a bill from the provider. I am in the UK and here lines for Analogue FXO normally come in an RJ11 type connector and ISDN like RJ45 (unless DASS2 which is a BNC connector but these are rare now-a-days).

Find out what the connection from the provider is first and then take a view on a gateway - your existing one already has FXO connectors and where un-supported may do the job if you already have an FXO line.

NOTE: There are 2 types of ISDN line commony (PRI and BRI) which in the UK is 30 and 2 channels respectively.

PRI in Japan will be T1 lines (not E1 like over here) that should be 23 channels per line (if using PRI) Japan uses a circuit called a J1, which is similar to a T1.

If BRI-ISDN the circuit it is known as INS64.

Eddv123,

Thanks for reply!!

1) I am the customer - doing it for myself but i still can not find out what type I am using. Japanese provider NTT does not mention anywhere what type I am using - and wehn calling support and asking them - they just reply - all you need to know is that you are using "Hikari Denwa" (or Light Phone in English. Comes from fiber-optics that uses light for transmission)

My connections is 100% not a INSネット64 i found a comparison between INSネット64 and Hikari Denwa (wich is what I am using).

2) connector to connect the phone is RJ11 in my router. I can not connect my phone to RJ45. RJ45 is used for LAN

3) I believe it i only have 1 or 2 channels - does this mean I have BRI-ISDN?

4) thanks for the link. I have checked it and so I have an FXS port in my router and I want to connect a gateway to 3cx to it instead of connecting an analogue phone.

So, how do i find out which gateway will work?
Am i right to look at Patton SmartNode SN4112 ?

I am surprised that your provider cannot tell you more.

After doing a little digging, all I can say is that you have an IP Phone for customers using their fiber optic service. There is a lot of confusion but I would be surprised if you had anything legacy here.

From this link: https://asahi-net.jp/en/service/hikaridenwa/ I think this is just a requirement for QoS etc -- they are only offering hosted VoIP to customers on these Fibre plans.

Perhaps their term 'fibre' is also confused with VDSL as it is here in the UK.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL

What I can say is that I do not think that the phone itself is optical in any way.

Fibre goes to a "box" that then provides Ethernet to the device with two FXS ports (along with four LAN Ethernet connectors). That is what I get out of it. I've seen the devices that combine everything into one, fibre included.

As fas as connecting a PSTN gateway to get the two phone lines into the hosted 3CX as trunks....well, there may be some issues. First off, remote Gateways are not "officially" supported unless you are using VPN, which doesn't mean it won't work, just that you may have to do a lot of trial and error to make it function.

The other issue is that the gateway and your providers PSTN service may try to use that same ports. The "communication ports", such as 5060, 5061, you can usually work around by using different ports. The voice ports may not be as easy.

I'd be wary of spending on a Gateway, only to find it will not work. Make sure, who ever you buy it from, has a good return policy.

eddv123,

No, of course the phone is not optical - just a regular home non-sip old style kitchen phone.
I have an optical cable for internet. It comes inside the router (ONU) which has an intergrated ATA with 2 rj11 ports and 4 LAN ports for PCs. The phone itself is just a regular analog phone with r11 jack. I want to connect 3cx instead of connecting the phone to this line.

So should I use a gateway like Patton SmartNode SN4112 for that?

leejor,

I would be happy with just one line. No need for two - they are actually the same line with 2 conections for two phones. I would be happy with incoming calls only (because outgoing calls can be made by my normal SIP trunk conttract)
Thanks for the advise. I will be cautious. The problem is that in Japan, almost no one sells gateways supported by 3cx and they are sooooo expensive here like 10 times normal price so I was thinking about getting one on Ebay.

Last edited:
Well the price situation is probably even more of a reason to be cautious. But yes if it is a standard Analogue phone then the 4112 JS (FXS) device is what you would need.

With that being said, if you wanted less risk on price (and you have only one phone) perhaps try something like the Grandstream handytones ATA: http://www.voipon.co.uk/grandstream-ht801-analog-adapter-p-7104.html

Although I am big on Patton (they are fantastic units) this ATA would offer you a cost effective and risk free solution. It is unsupported but for a single Analogue phone setting it up manually should be quick and easy.

I wrote a guide for setting up the 701 version with 3CX using STUN but on-prem is not much difference: https://www.electronicfrontier.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Grandstream-HT701.pdf

I think he is looking for an FXO,not an FXS as he is trying to get the analogue lines coming from his router/ATA back into a hosted 3CX as a trunk. I have managed to get an SPA3102 working with a single line, from a remote site, BUT, as I said earlier,there may be problems with port allocations.You will have SIP coming to the AT-200 box providing two phone lines. You are then going to attempt to go out over the same internet connection with a SIP trunk to 3CX. I don't imagine that the port forwarding options are going to be very flexible, as the design probably doesn't take into consideration you using another SIP provider, or service.

It would be much more straight forward if you had the 3CX server locally.

Last edited:
I have done hosted FXO before via a VPN and SBC, manual alteration of the pre-configured Patton template and SBC to remote gateway is in supported officially but works quite well.

Unfortunately, can not do custome templates, as I am hosted in cloud by 3cx and there is no option to upload templates..

So if I decide to give it a try and add Patton, then incoming calls will go like this

My providers Router(ONU) > Patton SmartNode SN4112 > Back to Router(ONU) via Internet > 3CX > SIP Phone

I have found some info on NTT that suggests that my provider uses 5060 port. So i will need to change this.

Do I need to do port forwarding and what do I do with voice ports?

When you say you cannot do custom templates - please advise.

All you would do is generate a standard template - extract and open with Notepad ++ and make the amendment.

Patton smartnodes are excellent products but quite complicated when configuring manually so you need to use a template.

If you're in the cloud how are you planning to connect the gateway?

I have found some info on NTT that suggests that my provider uses 5060 port. So i will need to change this.

Do I need to do port forwarding and what do I do with voice ports?

I assume, that 5060 and 506, two ports, (but could be others) are used by the device you currently have, so yes, you will have to choose others for the gateway. If the router allows post forwarding, then these should be done. As far as voice posts, as mentioned previously, this is where it becomes tricky. Given that your current device has two FXS ports, you may not have much (any?) control how voice ports route. some will probably be hard-coded to the FXS posts, and if the gateway attempts to use those, whichever they may be, you will end up with "no audio" issues as there will be a conflict.

Again...whichever gateway you choose to buy, be sure that there is a good return policy in the even it just does not work.

OK thanks for the advice
I will try Patton with a return option and let you know how it goes when it arrives.

I plan to hook up the Patton to phone line that comes out of my routerONU and also to hook it up to LAN.

Then i will try to configure the Patton to forward all the voice traffic to 3cx.
My router supports port forwarding (it is a Unifi)

I think RTP voice ports will be the biggest challenge. Can thos be changed in Patton to other than defaults?

Haven't used the Patton,so I can't say. Ports would have to be changed at 3CX end as well, which may be more difficult as they seem to be pretty much set.

Haven't used the Patton,so I can't say. Ports would have to be changed at 3CX end as well, which may be more difficult as they seem to be pretty much set.

Hmm, i thought if you can change RTP ports for each phone connected via STUN, then you should be able to change those ports for the gateway too...
Anyway, maybe they do not even use default ports, cause everything they do in Japan they do Non-standard.

You may have to try to employ Wireshark to get an idea what is going on with the current ATAs.
I'm not saying you may not get it working, I'm just playing devils advocate with the worse case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imperial Treasure
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.