• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Issues installing Debian ISO on Hyper V

Status
Not open for further replies.

kieferschild

Silver Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Normally I dont have an issue with this. But, today I do.

I've got Server 2016 Std running Hyper V. I'm using Gen1 with VHDX 60GB hard drive.

I can start the installation of Debian and input the details like name, IP, root PW.

Once the VM restarts I get an error that says something like "upgrade BIOS or..."

Thanks

can you check the Network interface you are using:

https://www.3cx.com/docs/installing-microsoft-hyper-v/

Debian 9 on Microsoft Hyper-V
Network Adapter
3CX on Debian does not support network adapter types “Legacy Network Adapter”. Beside all the disadvantages of those adapters in general, 3CX explicitly requires a standard “Network Adapter”.

vqU2SYBHv3IoahGetWNJkSiL7jC5OEaoLs-x3MSCA44nTR7QZpcn-R_-FCGRUCPATZe2LVZ-GplJWc-0OdKiLxTYbHdxW9X-FvhYWxtXGJ4uQNFEqgXmHbjQEGHl28T-sA

Generation 2 VMs
Refrain from using Generation 2 VMs on Hyper-V, only Generation 1 will work.

Hi Stefan,

Yes, i've done all of that.

when you create the instance in Hyper-V, which Linux Version do you select there?
It is common that this happen when you select the wrong one...

Hi,

You dont get to select an OS in Hyper V. I believe it's Virtual Box and such where you do that.

Last edited:
VMware kid I am... ;-)

Right, i've just watched the installation again.

I get to the point where I have to select "Finish installation" and it goes to do it's first restart.

I then get the attached error.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    68.2 KB · Views: 21
do you have internet on the vm? as it reads to load the post install and cant get it.

I've got Windows VM running in this HyperV server which has internet and the Debian VM is using the same virtual switch. I've trashed the install and installed it again to get the same problem.

The problem is. At this point, the Debian shows it has no network adapters.

I've booted into recovery mode and typed "ip address" and it shows me eth0 with the static IP details I gave.

If l look at nano /etc/network/interfaces I can see everything there is correct.

I can successfully ping google.

I then did a shutdown -r now and rebooted to normal mode to get the original issue reported. (see attached)

So then I went back in to recovery mode and i'm still able to successfully ping Google.

I've run "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" and its upgraded the following:

libsystemd0 libudev1 systemd systemd-sysv tzdata udev

I rebooted in to normal mode and it now says "3CX Installation.. Waiting for network" so I clicked out and in of the VM and things have pushed along and the installation.

** For some reason i'm having to click in/out of the VM to see the actual progress. **

Got the the point now where it's asking what I want to install so i've chosen 3CX Stable... and it's finished installation then done a reboot.

After reboot I've got "SMBus base address uninitialized - upgrade BIOS or use force_addr..." again.

went in to recovery mode and can no longer ping google or ping the IP of the VM.

"ip address" shows no IP information in eth0 and i can no longer get any network and this is where I am at the moment.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 9
Yes, that's what i'd expect to see too.

After turning it off/on a few times I just let it sit there.

It must have sorted itself out because it went to the <IP>:5015 bit and i'm now able to configure the 3CX.

Dont know if it's a Hyperv integration issue or what but i appear to be working now.

what is the network adapter on your host?

Realtek in this sample host, a production host has broadcom, in both I dont have the issue you are describing...

I'm using HPE Ethernet 1GB 2-port 332i Adapter. (2 x NICs teamed)

Driver version 20.6.0.5 (29/05/2017).

First time i've installed Debian on a HP Host. I've got one inhouse and i'm going to try and install Debian on that with the ISO to see if the same thing happens.

Will report back soon.

Ok so.

My inhouse HP Host is using HPE Ethernet 1GB 4-port 331i Adapter

Driver version 20.6.0.4 (04/05/2017).

It flew through the installation. Restart and gave me the "SMBus... upgrade BIOS..." and then continued onwards.

Comparing the two, my inhouse host is more powerful than the host i've been having issues with.

My conclusion is that there was no issue and that because the VM isn't powerful enough, it needed more time.

To prove this, i'm going to reinstall 3CX and let it sit at the originally reported "error" to see if it continues.

I will report back.

Hi!

So I did my reinstall and left it and it did indeed complete successfully.

Issue here is the hosts performance and my impatience.

Thanks for your help!

Glad to see the issue has been resolved and thank you for updating the thread with your solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.