• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Question about P-Asserted-Identity and Toll Free numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris Peck

Reaction score
I have a client who has two sites but only one 3CX server. At one site they use a regular phone number but the other uses a toll free 800 number as their caller ID. Recently when calling other 800 numbers it now fails saying it is outside of the call range. The only way we found to get around it is to set the P-Asserted-Identity to the caller ID of the mainline but that causes all calls for the client to show as private numbers.

Is there a setting that I am missing that would allow us to get this working properly?

Calling toll free numbers means they are footing the bill, so they expect you to send your (valid) phone number, to them so they can use in whatever data collection that they do. Many companies that have toll free numbers, also screen to determine that the number they are getting is valid. You seem to be calling one of these companies.

I'm aware of that. From my understanding there should be a way that we can still list the toll free as the caller ID and still send it the valid phone number. From what I can tell should be possible with the P-Asserted-Identity field but I can't figure out how to format it so it stops showing as a private number.

Unless you block the caller Id (prefix, for your provider to block?),for calls to that number,or call from a different trunk group that shows a different number, I'm not certain how it can currently be done.
And in most cases, it is not possible to block CID to toll free numbers.

Last edited:
Hello @Kris Peck

So you want the P-Asserted-Identity to be always set to the main trunk number but you want the extension of the second site to have the toll free number in the From: User Part? Please confirm where you need to send each number so we can further assist.

@YiannisH_3CX

From my understanding yes that is what we are trying to do. According to Flowroute there should be a way to send the main trunk number so that toll-free numbers can be called but still have it set to display the toll-free number for the second site as the caller ID.

Normally i would advise against changing the outbound parameters for a supported provider as this could break other things so take a note of your current settings before applying any changes so you can easily revert if something goes wrong.

To have the main trunk number appear in the P-Asserted-Identity value in all calls you need to navigate to the Outbound parameters of the trunk and set the P-Asserted-Identity: User part to "LineNumber external number of line" and the P-Asserted-Identity:Host part to "GWHostPort gateway/provider host/port"

The From:User part should be left as is which should be set to "OriginatorCallerID"

With this configuration the PBX will always send the main trunk number in the P-Asserted-Identity field and the Extensions Outbound caller ID in the From:User Part.

@YiannisH_3CX

I tried this however it doesn't work exactly like you mention. It does allow them to call toll-free numbers but when I contact my cell with it there is no toll-free number it is the regular one instead.

One thing you might want to consider looking into, as there is no cost...there are many services that offer free calling to toll free numbers with no trunk registration required (SIPBroker is but one). You could set up a trunk to one of these services and route all toll free calls and experiment with what number is sent.

I tried this however it doesn't work exactly like you mention. It does allow them to call toll-free numbers but when I contact my cell with it there is no toll-free number it is the regular one instead.
That would depend on what SIP field the provider is reading the caller ID from. I would contact the provider and ask them if what you want to achieve is even possible as they may not support the functionality exactly the way you want it.

Thanks for the assistance but after talking with Flowroute and some additional people who heavily use 3CX we determined it wasn't currently possible to send the P-Charge-Info header that we needed and have it stable. We ended up switching them to a new caller ID .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.