• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

show/select DID on the phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

next2

Free User
Basic Certified
Reaction score
Hi all, need some advice here.
I've been looking in the posts but could not find recent information about my question.

We have 1 trunk with 3 different DIDs.
Say there will be 1 phone in this set up.
When receiving an incoming call, we need to see on the phone line keys which DID has been called.
Also, when making a call, we'd like to be able to select a DID (with the same line keys?) so the correct outgoing phone number will be shown on the receiver's phone.
Is this possible ? I see on the BLF sheet in the phone config screen there is a Line Key field but I don't get the purpose of this… Maybe it's something different…

Also, I suspect things are even more difficult as we are speaking about 1 trunk with 3 DID's. Maybe this scenario would be more easy to set up with 3 trunks with 1 DID each ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
Thomas

Line is not the same thing as Trunk.
This is a very manual setup to use BLF's for this.

INCOMING:
You would use the Queue or DID or Ring Group Name to prefix the caller ID.
Goto Contacts - Options. Bottom of the list.

OUTGOING:
Right now need a separate trunk and use Outgoing Rules to figure out which one to use. It was asked for, and implemented - but not implemented. https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/ability-to-set-a-caller-id-for-outbound-calls.42840/
So, example:
9<xxxxxxxx> would use Trunk 1 with caller id 4805551212
8<xxxxxxxx> would use Trunk 2 with caller id 4805551313

You can use our 3CX Caller ID add-on to change your outbound caller ID. It's super simple to use and it will work with just one trunk.

not sure what happened to my post... the first line was "line (or did I say account) is not the same thing as a trunk. is a very manual setup to use BLF's for this."

not sure how the rest was interpreted.

Hi Matthew, thank you for your answer. However, we'd like to choose the line on the phone keys. Using a sofwtare or web interface is not an option.

Hello Craig,

Regarding INBOUND, thank you for the hint ! I had never used the DID name field (Always left it blank) and just discovered this can be really useful !

Regarding OUTBOUND, I had seen the threads dated 2015-2016, but thought this had been implemented since then… So I understand the best option is to
1/ assign 1 DID per trunk, and
2/ configure Outgoing Rules, using a prefix key in order to select the appropriate trunk/DID
By the way, you mention the BLF thing, how far can the BLF keys be used in this set up ?

Kind regards,
Thomas

In the old days of "Key" systems you had a button for each POTS line, and you could select which POTS line you wanted to use by pressing the associated line key. However with modern PBXes there is no one-to-one button to trunk option. The line key represents a "next available" channel and it is your outbound rules that determine which trunk is used. As far as I know there is no way to associate a line key on your phone with a particular trunk in 3CX.

Its a shame too. So many great feature that key systems had that newer ip systems fail to incorporate.

It's not that they fail to implement features - much of it isn't necessary with SIP Trunks.

I'll admit some stuff which should be there isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.