• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Snom D785 Multicast Paging Listening vs. List

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrjk

Customer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm configuring multicast paging with a v15.5, all Snom D785 deployment. I have the multicast paging groups set up in 3CX and on the multicast zone list in the Snom web interface.

That all works fine and as expected. The issue I'm running in to is I cannot figure out how to allow a phone to just page to that group rather than also listening. If I put the IP address and port on the zone list in the Snom interface, it automatically puts that extension in the listening group.

For example, I want phones on the first floor to be able to page the second floor and vice versa. But when I add the second floor IP,port to the first floor phones zone list, they then become a part of the second floor group and receive the page when any page is sent to the second floor group.

According to this Snom article, this should be completely possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
if doing multicast paging, its all about the ip address.

1st floor 224.0.0.1:50001 (Grandstream phones) - and also has 224.0.0.1:50004 for all call

2nd floor 224.0.0.1:50002 (Grandstream phones and CyberData speakers) - and also has 224.0.0.1:50004 for all call

Warehouse 224.0.0.1:50003 (Snom PA1) - and also has 224.0.0.1:50004 for all call

So users have 4 options: 1st, 2nd, WH, ALL
but this is via Ring Groups in 3cx. Not a direct Multicast Page.

I've never used multicast zones... I just use separate multicast IP's. What exactly is SNOM doing in this regard?

I believe "zone" is just their descriptor for a group.

The IP and ports are working correctly. As far as I can tell there is only one list to edit (in the attached screenshot). To give a deskphone the option to page to that group, you must edit this list directly on the deskphone's web interface. But when you give it the option to page to that group, it then becomes a member of that group and receives all pages sent to that group.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 10
I would try using 3cx Multicast Paging "Ring Groups".
Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 2.51.30 PM.png

Yes, that's how we have it set up. We then deploy it to the Snom deskphones via their web interface.

Is that not the correct way of deploying?

Deployment happens automatically from within 3cx - not the Phones WebGui.
Add some BLF's to the extensions.
Hit Ok.
Provision Phone from the "Phones" tab within 3cx.

Not sure how Snom is restricting these groups.

Okay. How do we set/edit the membership of the paging group? I have the option to choose which extensions are members with a plain SIP-based paging group. That option isn’t there with the multicast paging group.

Perhaps the template does not support it. I program my Snom pa1 by hand. I enter the multicast IP - it’s considered a “listener” and opens the channel when it hears audio.
I can’t speak to how the phone and template operate for that specific model.
But this is how at least Grandstream and Yealink work. And because it’s IP based it’s interoperable between brands.

Unless I'm misunderstanding some core concept here, it seems the only way I'm able to achieve this is with the following workaround:

- Configure via template the mc_address setting for the paging groups we want the extensions to be listen-only.
- Deploy via BLF the paging groups we want the extensions to be able to stream on.

If anyone with Snom deskphone specific experience can chime in, I'd greatly appreciate it. There has to be something I'm missing here.

Thanks again for all the help.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLK
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.