• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

New to 3CX. Updating from v14 to v15 question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpower3o2

Reaction score
Recently started a new IT position and getting acquainted with the 3CX system. I'll be in charge of upgrading our current system 14 to version 15.5.

We have a gateway we go through (Patton SN4114). Been reading a lot of articles in regard to backups and all.

Questions I have:

When restoring from a backup, will that import all the settings back to the way it was when we were on 14?

Will I have to reconfigure anything after when restored from a backup?

Our phone number, will that be the same?

Since we have a gateway will I still have to setup an FQDN, Certificate, SIP or is that imported from the backup?

Hoping this upgrade is as easy as restoring from a backup, installing the client on our company PC's, and testing functionality.

Hi Mpower302,

I will likely miss some things in my response, so I'm hoping others will be able to fill in some of the blanks.

When restoring from a backup, will that import all the settings back to the way it was when we were on 14?
Yes, the backup contains all the settings (that were available in V14).

Our phone number, will that be the same?
Yes, your phone number is assigned at your carrier, so that will stay the same.

Since we have a gateway will I still have to setup an FQDN, Certificate, SIP or is that imported from the backup?
Yes, you will still need to setup a FQDN, and Certificate, but you don't have to use a SIP trunk if you are not already. From your comments it appears you have a PRI for your phone lines, but that doesn't preclude you also having SIP trunks. The FQDN is necessary for lots of things including remote extensions / cell clients.

Hoping this upgrade is as easy as restoring from a backup, installing the client on our company PC's, and testing functionality
Keep in mind that it is highly likely you will need to update the firmware on your physical phones to get the full benefit of the newer features of V15.5. As you have noted, it will require that you update 3CX Phone for Windows if you are using it within your organization, and this also extends to your mobile clients and MAC clients too.

Hi Mpower302,

I will likely miss some things in my response, so I'm hoping others will be able to fill in some of the blanks.

Yes, the backup contains all the settings (that were available in V14).

Yes, your phone number is assigned at your carrier, so that will stay the same.

Yes, you will still need to setup a FQDN, and Certificate, but you don't have to use a SIP trunk if you are not already. From your comments it appears you have a PRI for your phone lines, but that doesn't preclude you also having SIP trunks. The FQDN is necessary for lots of things including remote extensions / cell clients.

Keep in mind that it is highly likely you will need to update the firmware on your physical phones to get the full benefit of the newer features of V15.5. As you have noted, it will require that you update 3CX Phone for Windows if you are using it within your organization, and this also extends to your mobile clients and MAC clients too.

Thank you for the reply!

Can I make a new FQDN and Certificate during install/restore? Or will I need to figure out that information in the current version 14 that I have running now?

The installer will ask you all the required information. I suggest you backup your 3CX and exclude the FQDN and license information.

additional information here is that you need to make sure that the license key you are using is not bound to any domain. I'd suggest you release it first in your respective portal before installation. Backups would include almost everything except for a few things like Ports of the PBX that was previously predefined with which you would have to redefine all of it.

additional information here is that you need to make sure that the license key you are using is not bound to any domain. I'd suggest you release it first in your respective portal before installation. Backups would include almost everything except for a few things like Ports of the PBX that was previously predefined with which you would have to redefine all of it.
Please note that V14 did not bound the licence to the FQDN so that step will not be necessary. Ports should be kept the same if possible as it will make the upgrade procedure easier.

Hello @mpower3o2

Since you are new to 3CX i would recommend doing some reading before attempting the upgrade to ensure that everything runs smoothly and you are able to deal with any issues that might pop up.
I would suggest going through our academy section first https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/ and then the admin manual https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/.
If you have any more questions regarding the upgrade process please feel free to ask.

Hello @mpower3o2

Since you are new to 3CX I would recommend doing some reading before attempting the upgrade to ensure that everything runs smoothly and you are able to deal with any issues that might pop up.
I would suggest going through our academy section first https://www.3cx.com/3cxacademy/ and then the admin manual https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/.
If you have any more questions regarding the upgrade process please feel free to ask.

According to the readings and videos I've found, I can't find info giving step by step for backup restoration. The info I found has been vague with people saying "just restore from backup" and you're done.

Unfortunately, I am on a time crunch to get this done. I performed a full backup via the 3CX console (14).

The main concern is making sure that restoring from this v14 backup to v15.5 will go through without any additional configurations.

I've been told that restoring from the backup through the installer will get my phone systems back up and running. All I would have to do is install the new client on our PC's and send the welcome emails.

If someone can confirm this, I would greatly appreciate it. Looking to get this done either this weekend or next.

The procedure is to use a full backup from V14 and restore it during the installation process to V15.5. and your configuration will be restored to the latest version.
However the reason i recommend going through the installation guides and manuals is because the installation procedure is different. You will have to decide before hand if you are going to use a 3CX FQDN or a custom one. If a custom one you will need a certificate.
Do you have active maintenance on your V14 key so you can upgrade or are you going to use a new key?
Also please note that without knowing the exact configuration of the current PBX no one can guarantee that the upgrade will go flawlessly that is why you need to be prepared to deal with any minor issues that might come up.

The procedure is to use a full backup from V14 and restore it during the installation process to V15.5. and your configuration will be restored to the latest version.
However the reason i recommend going through the installation guides and manuals is because the installation procedure is different. You will have to decide before hand if you are going to use a 3CX FQDN or a custom one. If a custom one you will need a certificate.
Do you have active maintenance on your V14 key so you can upgrade or are you going to use a new key?
Also please note that without knowing the exact configuration of the current PBX no one can guarantee that the upgrade will go flawlessly that is why you need to be prepared to deal with any minor issues that might come up.

we do have an active maintenance agreement on V14. I was told as long as I upgrade before my maintenance expiration the license I have now will work with v15.5.

right now I'm trying to find the certificate location for v14 and so far I've had 0 luck.

As far as i can remember the certificates in V14 were stored in C:\ProgramData\3CX\Bin\SSL\3CX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.