• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Could someone give me examples of dial strings for the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoL

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried VOIP a while ago but didn't have enough time to configure it properly. Recently I tried again but can't seem to work out UK dial codes.

For example, as I have it working at the moment I have to dial 9 before I can enter a UK phone number. I'd like to be able to just dial the number straight away. It is only a home system to try and get rid of line rental.

I searched the Internet but most of what I have found seems to be for the US and all seem to accept that you have to dial 9 first.

Sorry if this is really basic but I really would appreciate some help.

Regards,

Leo

Very simple, create the following

An outbound rule that checks for prefix 0 - do not prepend or strip digits,

An outbound rule that checks for length of 6, and prepend your local std code.

remember rules are processed from the top down - so arrange them in correct order i.e. length 6 , prefix 0, and prefix 9

More info on outbound rules -
https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/sip-trunks/

Thanks for your reply but I don't know how to do that. BTW, I'm not currently using 3CX. I just have an IP phone. I posted a separate question about 3CX clients for Windows and Android as I used to use the Windows client but not can't get it to work. So, I wondered if they now require 3CX? I may end up running 3CX but I don't currently have a suitable machine to run it on.

This is a forum for 3CX , probably better of asking your voip provider any questions about your solution.

You need a 3CX server (PABX system) to use any of the 3CX clients - Windows, Andriod, IOS

I asked on here because I used to use the 3CX Windows client and it didn't need a 3CX server then. So, that is where I tried first but couldn't get it to work. When/why was it changed to only work with a 3CX server? I also asked on here because it is my intention of buying a machine at some point to run a 3CX server but at the moment I'm just trying to get my phone to work.

Are dial codes not the same regardless of which system you use?

I would ask my VOIP provider but then never respond to any issues. They are Sipgate and I don't know if they plan on dumping UK users but they have not responded to one request.

For example, as I have it working at the moment I have to dial 9 before I can enter a UK phone number. I'd like to be able to just dial the number straight away. It is only a home system to try and get rid of line rental.

I searched the Internet but most of what I have found seems to be for the US and all seem to accept that you have to dial 9 first.

If you don't currently use 3CX, or some other PBX, then I'm not certain as to why you'd have to dial "9" first. Some providers do offer PBX "like" services (Centrex) that can require an access digit, but if you are using it at home then that is between you, and your provider, to explain.
What digits do they want you to send? Some VoIP sets allow you to manipulate digits using an internal dial plan, so the digits you dial are not necessarily the digits sent to the provider. Unless you received the set "pre-programmed", then you would have had to create these plans, and as such, should be familiar with them, if they do exist.

As far as using the 3CX Phone without the 3CX PBX...maybe. In more recent versions, various advanced features have been introduced that function only with the 3CX PBX, and in some cases, only with certain versions of 3CX. So...if you can't get the 3CX phone to function with a "generic" VoIP provider, there may be a very good reason.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.

I don't think it is anything to do with my provider. It is simply because I have no idea what I'm doing and when I tried to get the phone to work it just complained that the number I entered was invalid. I found (<9:>xx.) on the Internet and it worked. If I understand that it wants a 9 followed by any number. It took me ages to realise that I needed a dial plan as I had only used the 3CX Windows client before and don't recall ever having to do anything with dial plans.

The phone manual's covering of dial plans is not good and all the examples are for the US and not well explained. So, I've been using the (<9:>xx.) as at least it worked.

But when I get a missed call and attempt to return it, it again says the number is invalid. That is why I wanted to fix the 9 for dialling out issue, but I don't know what to replace it with. What I want is a dial plan that allows any UK number and things like emergency services to work.

I know it must be simple but just want some examples for the UK so that I can make sense of the manual. It is easier to follow when the examples at least make sense. Most of the examples in the manual are also written for a company rather than a home user. I just want it to check that the number I enter is valid for the UK.

I hope that makes sense.

The phone manual's covering of dial plans is not good and all the examples are for the US and not well explained. So, I've been using the (<9:>xx.) as at least it worked.

What phone are you talking about?

Perhaps either one has a support forum better suited to the issue you are having, since it does not appear to involver 3CX. 3CX soft phones do not involve an internal dialplan as the digits are not sent until a button is pressed, like a mobile phone. Many VoIP sets (and ATAs) do offer an internal dialplan that allows calls to be sent to a provider immediately after the last digit is dialled.

the SIpgate.co.uk website seems to have a lot of troubleshooting information

Last edited:
It is an old phone with no support or forum. I bought it years ago and never used it.

Surely dial plans are standard?

Not necessarily. What make/model phone is it? "Old" doesn't really help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.