• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

How to change phone IP address at WAN level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bprion

Reaction score
My 3CX program is running on an AWS server. The phones in my office have static LAN IP addresses.

I added an additional Internet Service Provider and setup a NoIP account and need to enter my new x.DDNS.net address in place of my original static public facing IP address.

My phones all are showing my primary public facing IP address that I need to replace with my new x.DDNS.NET address. Where they are showing that IP address is in the IP column in the screen shot depicted here.
https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/configuring-ip-phones/

How do I change the IP for each phone individually?

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to reinstall 3cx if you are trying to change its WAN Address as far as I recall.

Changing the phones individual IP's is another story, depending on phone type, and has nothing to do with 3cx. The IP in that list is the Phones IP Address...

The IP address of 3cx is not my issue.

The IP in that list is NOT the Phone's IP address because, in my case, all the phones show the same IP address in that list and it is the public facing IP address that my ISP provided for my office location.

Another thing to consider is that when a phone is rebooted, I get an email when it gets unregistered and another when it is registered again. Here are a series of messages:

Extension 104 is registered, contact: sip:[email protected]:15231
Extension 104 is unregistered, removed contact: sip:[email protected]:15231
Extension 102 is registered, contact: sip:[email protected]:15214
Extension 102 is unregistered, removed contact: sip:[email protected]:15214
Extension 105 is registered, contact: sip:[email protected]:15508
Extension 105 is unregistered, removed contact: sip:[email protected]:15508
Extension 111 is registered, contact: sip:[email protected]:15234
Extension 111 is unregistered, removed contact: sip:[email protected]:15234

All of the messages indicate the same address 60.73.175.125 which is the WAN of my network. I need to change that to my x.DDNS.net address but I can't find where to do that.

The LAN address of the individual phones is something else completely and is easy to change but, of course, they are all unique.

did you install a second link or just using another IP (x.DDNS.net) over your existing link ?

Are you using remote extensions (STUN) ?

I'm not sure that I understand your question about a 'second link'.

I have had Comcast as my ISP for quite some time and setup 3cx while exclusively using them. I purchased a static IP address and created an AWS instance which is where I'm running 3cx.

So far, so good but when Comcast goes down, I loose the ability for my office phones to connect to 3cx even though calls are being answered by the auto attendant and voice mails are being recorded.

I then installed a Verizon DSL line with a dynamic IP and setup a NoIP account. Now when I VPN from home to my office, instead of specifying my Comcast IP, I specify my x.DDNS.net IP and NoIP routes the connection toward which ever IP address is active.

Because my phones and 3cx where setup when all I had was the Comcast service, my Concast IP address is being used to link the phones and 3cx and I need to change that link to use my NoIP DDNS address instead but I can't find where to do that.

I am using STUN in the remote extensions.

With STUN-remote phones, 3CX server is not statically configured with remote phones public IPs, rather the remote phone uses the STUN protocol to help get SIP working via NAT between it and the 3CX server
https://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/stun-voip-1/

So it appears you have 2 links at your office and you want to use Verizon over the Comcast but also have redundancy?

I think it would be a nicer solution for you to use 3CX SBC solution at your remote office instead of STUN remote extensions.

Robertos,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have 2 links at my office. I want to use the faster (primary) service normally, but then fail over to the alternate when necessary. My SonicWall router does this automatically for me.

I now understand that because I used STUN when the remote extensions were setup, the WAN IP in use at that time was 'captured' and remains in the setup, unable to be changed.

I will look into the SBC solution that you mentioned. I was hoping that this would be as simple as entering my DDNS address in the proper field somewhere but I see that is not the case.

Thanks again for your help.
Bill

you are welcome Bill.

Little clearer now with more details about the setup.

Clear as mud.

Your 3CX instance is in AWS. Your phones are behind your Sonicwall which handles your two internet connections. 3CX will reflect the IP of the WAN interface used at the time of registration in the phone list. It may update that upon registration if the WAN IP changes but I couldn't tell you for sure and I'm too lazy to test. But upon re-registering traffic will go to the correct IP. It will never show the host name because 3CX isn't doing DNS lookups, at least for the phone tab to display. As you say your Sonicwall already handles the failover so you don't need to configure your phones to do this as well.

If you are trying to minimize downtime when you switch WANs then you are better off simply shortening the registration period for the extensions vs trying to get them to register with the DDNS hostname. It's more reliable and has less dependencies. If this is what you are trying to accomplish then shorter registration periods is better than what you are trying to do. The delay induced by waiting for the router to detect the failover, then update the DDNS entry, then waiting for the TTL to expire and then hoping 3CX honors it and reacts accordingly is a leap and introduces more variables to the equation. Downtime is that critical then you would want to a SDWAN device that can keep same IP failover.

Last edited:
Hello @bprion

As @cobaltit mentioned if the phones are provisioned via STUN you do not need to perform any changes to the configuration of the phones. The phones will perform a STUN request to determine their public IP address before sending a SIP message. If this is handled correctly by your firewall then you do not need to do anything to have this working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.