• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Voicemail Drops-Operator not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

segate

Customer
Reaction score
Voicemail is not working correctly. External calls are routed to ring group. If call is not answer we have a welcome message telling them to hit 0 to leave a message. The call is transferred to the operator extension but we get the error message: Operator not available exiting the system. Any ideas what is going on?

Have you configured your operator extension.

Within 3CX Management console - Settings -> PABX Settings - Operator Extension

Also try adding 0 to your operator extension SIP ID - Extensions - Options - SIP ID (Must be unique per extension)

Yes the voicemail extension is set as 221. Under ring group the destination if no answer is also set to ext. 221

In addition I can call extension 221 and get the voicemail message. Only when dialing in from outside number and being prompted to press zero do we have the problem. After pressing zero there are a few rings and then the error message.

try adding 0 to your operator extension 221 SIP ID - Extensions - Options - SIP ID (Must be unique per extension)

To test, you should be able to dial 0 internally

Last edited:
In addition I can call extension 221 and get the voicemail message. Only when dialing in from outside number and being prompted to press zero do we have the problem. After pressing zero there are a few rings and then the error message.

So, when doing an internal test call, are you able to press 0 and go to an operator? If that works, then check the 3CX Activity Log and compare the working, internal call, with a non-working external one. Is there an error that explains why the call won't go to an operator? Could it be a DTMF (not being recognised correctly) issue?

Thank you for your help with this. The last response you sent- im not sure I follow what you mean. Could you be more specific?

No I cannot get to the operator extension internally by dialing 0. Only by dialing 221. How do I amend this?

Within the extension - one of the tabs has a SIP option.
Just add a zero here.
But the zero from within voicemail is not this. You have to ensure your voicemail extension is setup as mentioned near the top of this thread.

I thought 0 was predefined for voicemail use? Is it *?

I though that it had been *, but using 0, to exit, had been discussed a few times in the forum, because that is what a number of other systems use to exit to "someone", if you don't want to leave a voicemail. In North America zero (0), to most, means take me to the "operator" (or at least a human), but that is not the case everywhere.

Adding “0” to the SIPID for the operator extension(221) does not allow us to dial zero internally or externally. Maybe I am missing something?

I still do not understand where this message is coming from. Someone at the company recorded it but it is not the operator’s voicemail. I have the ring group set to go the voicemail of 221(the operator) if no answer. Why is this call routing to a different message?

Calls are getting to the correct ring group but not to the correct destination when unanswered. Any ideas?

Hello @segate

If call is not answer we have a welcome message telling them to hit 0 to leave a message. The call is transferred to the operator extension but we get the error message: Operator not available exiting the system. Any ideas what is going on?
I have a question regarding the configuration. If the call is routed from the ring group to the voicemail of the operator extension how do you play the welcome message telling the users to press 0 to leave a voicemail? Is this recorded to the operators voicemail? If so then why tell them to press 0 to leave a voicemail since the call is already at voicemail?

Pressing 0 during a voicemail greeting message will result in the call ending up in the operators extension (not voicemail). If the operators extension has a forwarding to a different extension then the call will reach a different location. Follow the call flow using the Activity log and the Active Calls screen to see where the call is going.

The welcome message was recorded by someone who uses the system but they cannot remember how or why they recorded the message. At any rate the calls are not going to the correct destination after no answer in the ring group. If I could find where the message is stored I could record over the message and have them dial 221 as a temporary fix. Here are two screen shots to hopefully help. All I need to do is have the ring group go to the voicemail of ext. 221. Screen Shot 1.png Screen Shot 2.png

Lets go back to basic - do you want external calls to go to voicemail and give the option to go to reception or leave a message

You say external calls are going to a ring group - is this working ?. If yes, if you open up the correct ring group within the 3CX management console, you will see 'Destination is no answer'. This will tell you where the call is being redirected to. You probably need to change this to a dummy extension which is only used for this ring group

On dummy extension goto the voicemail tab - Manage Voicemail Greetings: Format WAV (PCM, 8 kHz, 16 bit, Mono, Max size: 100MB). Here you can play your current voicemail (Manage, Download) or record a new message 'Record from phone'. Here is where you can record the option to dial 221, to connect to reception.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help with this.
-External calls are going to the ring group as they should.
-The Destination if unanswered for the ring group is set to go to voicemail of extension 221
-When calls are unanswered they are NOT being routed to the correct destination.
-I can play the voicemail greeting for 221 and this is not the recording I am hearing when calls go unanswered.

Try calling *4221 from a different extension is the system and check what prompt is playing. Is it the one set under the greeting section of extension 221 or do you hear the greeting that callers hear after the Ring Group.
Also try changing the destination of the Ring Group to a different voicemail box. Does that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCTECHZONE
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.