• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solved Anyway to point 3cx pbxexpress URL to AWS public dns url

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arunesh Dutta

Reaction score
Hello

I wanted to know can my url minervatechpbx.3cx.pointing to my instance's public ip can it be pointed to my AWS instance public dns url as I guess using public IP might incur charges and using public dns url which resolves to private IP won't do same or any method to use my domain which I can point to aws public dns url..thx

I think you are confusing public with static. You have to have some sort of public IP to reach the outside world. Not being familiar with AWS I can't tell you specifics but if you can do port forwarding without getting/paying for a static then you just tell 3CX you have a dynamic IP address and the FQDN will be updated anytime the IP address changes (with a delay). But I would imagine to port forward you would need a static. And a static IP can't cost more than two cups of coffee a year so I think you'll be ok if you do have to pay.

Static IP's are not all that common if being run on "residential" services which it seems folks try to do with 3cx often... However, any business should have a business grade internet - and atleast the major carriers in the US, come with a /29 block of IP's that can be programmed as static.

Here (Australia) some ISPs offer static IP on "residential" ADSL services for a free but with a NBN service you have to buy a "small business" service to get a static IP. The difference is $10 per month.

Either way the OP doesn't appear to be talking about a static on the internet connection but rather on the AWS instance unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

So it appears that feature is mainly to provide split dns so the AWS name resolves to the public IP from the outside and to the private IP from the inside. Since you will never be 'inside' with regards to 3CX it's a moot point unless you build a VPN to your AWS instance for your phones to communicate with. But if you really want to go this route then technically rather than point your 3CX provided DNS name to the AWS DNS name you that basically falls under the use your own FQDN as outlined here:

https://www.3cx.com/docs/fqdn-ssl-certificate-v15/

Hello I have used the aws public dns url for my websites which would simply cname to it rather than using a public ip adddress as it will incur charges as might be the aws public dns url ,so wanted to know is there a way to make my domain point to public dns url of aws for my instance

I already answered you question, and you just confirmed it in your response. In the scenario you described, you controlled the domain name. You don't control the 3CX provided domain name so you can't do what you want to do using the 3CX provided domain name. So the only other option is to use your own domain name per the link I provided earlier which would involve upgrading your license and configuring/installing your own SSL.

Reactions: YiannisH_3CX
Thanks to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damiano giannini
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.