• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiernan

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a problem where outgoing calls are being dropped after 15 min and i can't figure out why. I checked with both of my VOIP providers and they say that the issue is not on their side. Incoming calls do not seem to be affected. All of my extensions use the 3cx soft-phone client for either windows or android, and one client on iOS.

I've been combing through this 3cx forum site and i see many suggestions to check the session-timer property but i can't find it! I've checked through my PBX Parameters and i cant find anything that is labeled session-timer or timer with a value of 15 min.

One interesting thing i have noticed is when the call hits the 15 minute mark the audio for the call just disappears (drops) but the timer will continue to increment and the call is still labeled as active on both the client and the server until the extension user ends the call or until the call is killed on the PBX through the management console.

To be clear: I am not using any type of hardware Voip phone whatsoever so this is not a firmware issue.

I have also registered to my voip providers directly using a different soft-phone application (MicroSIP for windows and CSimpleSip for android) and i don't experience the same problem with calls dropping so the problem is definitely with 3cx.

Can anyone help me with this or provide suggestions? If you can tell me where to find this session-timer property on the PBX too that would be greatly appreciated...

You say "both VoIP providers", so it does happen with more than one, and only on outgoing calls.
Have you looked at the Activity Logs for these calls? Which end is terminating that call?
Do you have a Physical SIP set to test with? How many extensions is this happening on...all 3CX soft phones I assume? Are your extensions local, or remote?

You have used other SIP applications direct to the providers to test, have you tried any of those as a 3CX extension?

Last edited:
Reactions: craigreilly
Hello @Kiernan

What version PBX are you using? You can see the exact build number on the Dashboard under the information column.
Also who is your provider? To see if this is indeed related to Session Timer you will need a wireshark capture and check does your provider support Timer? If so do they support UPDATE?
Who is the refresher of the timer? Does the refresher respond on the timely manner?
Then if a Re-invite is sent, is it correct? Do the audio ports remain the same? Do the codecs remain the same?
Did the provider say anything else apart that the issue is not on their side? Did they share any additional info we can use to troubleshoot the issue?

You say "both VoIP providers", so it does happen with more than one, and only on outgoing calls.
Have you looked at the Activity Logs for these calls? Which end is terminating that call?
Do you have a Physical SIP set to test with? How many extensions is this happening on...all 3CX soft phones I assume? Are your extensions local, or remote?

You have used other SIP applications direct to the providers to test, have you tried any of those as a 3CX extension?

1) Yes this is happening with both of my 2 Voip providers on outgoing calls only.

2)The activity log does not indicate any premature termination of the call. The audio cuts out after 15 minutes and the BYE message is not logged until the extension user ends the call, the receiving caller hangs up, or until i kill the call manually on the management console. With the receiving caller hanging up, this confirms that i am still getting SIP messages from my voip provider.

3) I have an old SPA3102 that i had temporarily hooked up as an extension with 3cx to test and yes the issue persists with call audio dropping after 15 min as well. I have not tested other soft-phone programs with the PBX as those extensions are roaming (outside my local network) and are not compatible with the 3cx tunneling feature which would be the primary connection method for them to place calls.

Hello @Kiernan

What version PBX are you using? You can see the exact build number on the Dashboard under the information column.
Also who is your provider? To see if this is indeed related to Session Timer you will need a wireshark capture and check does your provider support Timer? If so do they support UPDATE?
Who is the refresher of the timer? Does the refresher respond on the timely manner?
Then if a Re-invite is sent, is it correct? Do the audio ports remain the same? Do the codecs remain the same?
Did the provider say anything else apart that the issue is not on their side? Did they share any additional info we can use to troubleshoot the issue?

Build version is 15.5.13103.5

I will need to setup wireshark on my pbx to get some capture info and will post when i have it available.

my primary provider is Voip.ms and they advised they do not send Re-Invite's to the PBX except at the very beginning of the call. I am waiting on another reply regarding the auido ports and codecs used.

My secondary provider is VoiceMeUp and they have yet to respond the my email with the questions you suggested.

Voip.ms did suggest ensuring that Keep-Alive is enabled on the PBX and i did verify that this option is currently enabled.

And what about one of those calls, in the 3CX Activity Log, does it give any indication of which end terminated that call, and perhaps a reason, or error message?

And what about one of those calls, in the 3CX Activity Log, does it give any indication of which end terminated that call, and perhaps a reason, or error message?

No, as i stated there's no error logged and the termination does not happen until either the extension, the call receiver or the PBX admin ends the call. It seems that the audio stream just drops.

I did also get a reply from Voip.ms in regards to questions posted above by YiannisH_3CX

1) Does Voip.ms support the UPDATE sip message? -- Yes
2) Does Voip.ms handle/support session-timers and if so, is it handled on the voip.ms system or the PBX? -- Yes, on the voip.ms system
3) Would the codec used change mid-call? -- Yes.
4) Do the audio ports used stay the same throughout the call? -- Not necessarily but it can happen.

It is curious that it happens with two different VoIP providers. Were there any changes made to the default trunk settings when the trunk groups were created?

Has this been happening since the system was installed, or did it just begin recently?

If it only began recently, were there any hardware, or firmware/software changes made on your network about the time it began?

It is curious that it happens with two different VoIP providers. Were there any changes made to the default trunk settings when the trunk groups were created?

Has this been happening since the system was installed, or did it just begin recently?

If it only began recently, were there any hardware, or firmware/software changes made on your network about the time it began?

This has been happening since i installed the system in January. I had opened a support ticket with Voip.ms in March and this month with VoiceMeUp when i realized that the problem was occurring with them as well. I have not had this issue before with older versions of 3CX prior to January. I had to reinstall the entire system back then due to a hard-drive failure but i restored a backup of 3cx and did not change any settings.

The PBX was moved from one physical location to a new location in May but that happened long after the issue started occurring and has been consistent from before and after the move.

I have not changed any parameters in the PBX settings and i don't use any hardware voip phones anymore so there are no Firmware factors for this issue.

Both your providers do support Timer so there is an Update at the 15 minutes mark. VoiceMeUP supports Update while Voip.ms will send a re-invite. Why the voice drops however this we will need to check as we cannot replicate the behaviour with our test accounts.
With that in mind i would recommend creating a ticket with our support department so we can look into the issue as these are both supported providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattS
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.