• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

How to stop internal ip address from changing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDCPS

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently having a problem in which the internal ip address of the linux server running 3CX is changing. While I can set 3CX to dynamic, I'm unable to access it because I have to change port forwarding settings based on whatever the current internal IP is, which prevents access. I don't know why this started happening, the ip address was constant until this past weekend when this began, to my knowledge, nothing was changed.

Thank you for your help!

Your internal linux server or remote/cloud?
If internal - ask your IT person to set this up properly using a DHCP Reservation or otherwise.

Reactions: nub
I assume you are using Linux. Here are the instructions for changing your interface to use a static IP address. You will need to access your server using a tool like putty.

Open the interfaces file using nano (editor)

nano /etc/network/interfaces

Look to see if you have an entry that looks like this:

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

If you see “dhcp”, you are using a DHCP assigned IP address. This should be changed to a static IP address by editing the interfaces file to look similar to the following (substitute with your IP addresses)

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
Dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1 8.8.8.8

Note: Also ensure you have DNS servers specified (see the last line above)

Once you have saved (written) your changes to the interfaces file, you will need to restart the networking service.

Note: Restarting the networking service will cause your 3CX server to be unreachable. You will need to reboot your 3CX server to regain access to the server.

service networking restart

If you have access to the console window (via a virtual server console for example) you may be able to regain access without a reboot by issuing the following command:

ifup eth0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imperial Treasure
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.