• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX and Emergency Calls - Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc91

Reaction score
I have been reading about VOIP Systems for the last few weeks and I just wondered if anyone can clarify that I have understood everything correctly, so here goes...

We have a head office that has roughly 30 extensions, each with a DID. We then have multiple (between 5-10) remote 'sites' that each only require 2 extensions at most.

1) From what I have read, I can host 3CX in the cloud and have the VOIP phones connect to it. I can then set up our call routing to handle each number we get from our SIP Provider. For example, we have a 'Head Office' number, that should only ring our Receptionist at our Head Office, and in the case they are busy, it rings all the other extensions at the head office.

2) Emergency Call Handling! From what I understand, if I get say 10 numbers from a SIP Provider, I have to let the SIP Provider know the physical location for each of those 10 numbers. So lets pretend that the number 1234 is my Head office number and I have let the SIP Provider know the location/address for this. My remote 'site' number is say 6789 and again I have let the SIP Provider know the location/address. - Then the remote 'site' extension has a emergency call route that uses the 6789 number and then the emergency operator will see the correct location/address? I am in the UK if that makes a difference to how things are handled?

If someone could let me know if my understanding is correct, or even if its just to point me in the right direction to do further reading to get a better understanding I would be grateful.

Thanks

To answer your questions.

1. You can route each sip line to any hunt group, queue or extension depending on your requirements. If the initial call flow route is busy, you can send it to another hunt group , queue , extension, voicemail, etc (the number of times you can do this is limitless).

Maybe look at the admin manual - https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/

2/ You are correct on the Emergency Call handling, you have to inform the SIP provider of the location address for the sip number. It is an OFCOM requirement, and BT controls the database.

Reactions: nub
Note however that 3cx can not change the outgoing number based on Outgoing Rule used. It is based on the Trunk level or the Extension level at this point. There is a request to allow this; and for larger deployments it would be helpful, so they do not have to register hundreds of DID's with the Emergency Services at a dollar or so more per month, plus an initial setup fee - just for E-services.

We do the same thing. We have separate trunks for each location so we can send the proper E911 number to the SIP trunk provider. We still have an issue with multiple phones on the same extension (one in office and one at remote home office) as we have no way to distinguish between the phones.

Reactions: Eliq91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quantinium
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.