• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Grandstream gxp2130 BLF Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronston Hansen

Customer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have several gxp2130s in a couple of locations. One location works absolutely fine. The other location has no BLF configuration on the phones. I've checked everything I know to check, factory reset and re-provisioned the phones. I looked at the config file from the Phones page and everything looks the same between the two locations. I'm out of ideas. I'm wondering if it's a template issue. I did have a couple custom templates I downloaded from some thread on this forum. I have removed those now and re-provisioned but still nothing. All the phones are the same firmware version as well.

Is there any kind of known issue with these phones? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I tried re-configuring a second phone. Followed the same process as the first one. Delete the phone from the extension, delete the phone from phones, add phone, assign extension, choose custom template, etc. Now this one did not take the BLF settings.

I did a few more of these phones and circled back to the one that didn't take blf settings with the custom template. They are all now working with the blf config included but they seem to require the custom template I listed above for this to work. Any thoughts on this.. anyone?

I've had my battles with the GXP phones BLF. So try this. Go to the BLF page and remove all settings and save it like its a default set up. Then do a factory reset. after the phone boots let it sit around for 5-10 minutes, go back and re-set up your BLF, save and do another factory reset. After another 5-10 minutes you should find it working after the phone registers - seems like there is a lag sometimes on some phones from getting the buttons to light up after provisioning. Note, requires the latest firmware from 3CX and the default template.

Thanks for the input. I don't want to upset the "delicate balance" on the phones I have working but next time I run into this I will give that a try. Provisioned ten more today with the default template and they all worked fine, I really enjoy inconsistency...

• Haha
Reactions: craigreilly
I really enjoy inconsistency...

You must if you are using Grandstream phones :)

They are nice budget phones but it's a case of you get what you pay for. Since you didn't mention what firmware version you are using with 3CX I'm going to assume you are using the latest 3CX approved firmware which from what I understand is not the most current firmware from Grandstream. In the release notes for 1.0.9.108 there is this:

• Fixed BLF cannot be provisioned successfully for 3CX

I also see you using the term re-provisioning a lot but not the term factory resetting. Whenever you have possible config issues and especially if you are changing templates you'll want to factory reset the phones. Templates typically only change the settings they care about which can leave settings from other templates or manually changed settings in the phone. Factory resetting gives you a clean slate. So I would do the following:

- Factory reset the phones
- Upgrade the firmware to the 1.0.9.108
- Provision the phones

I'm betting if you do that your BLFs will work and work consistently.

Reactions: NickD_3CX
I'm sure I'm running whatever the latest firmware deployed by 3CX would be. I'll have to give that new one a try.
Yeah I just misspoke, I factory reset them more frequently than I actually change anything.

Thanks for the info!
Bronston

Ok just making sure. Sometimes people use the terms interchangeably so I wanted to make sure. Do post your results once you get a chance to test.

@cobaltit I'm interested in your statement of current firmware versions. Is 1.0.9.108 specific to the GXP 2130 model? Why I ask is because if I go to my 3CX server I see all of my GrandStream GXP phones (2140 and 2160 models) are showing as up to date at 1.0.9.102.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 10.18.55.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 10.18.55.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 11
@cobaltit Fair enough.
Anyway, if you do as you suggest, won't the phone which has the firmrware location set to the 3CX server see that there's a version difference and push the firmware it shows as current 1.0.9.102 to the phone?

Possibly but that's a different problem :) 3CX did introduce the ability to use alternate firmwares in Update 4 I believe in response to a similar problem with Fanvil and a bad firmware. So the framework is there to be able to use a different firmware then the officially supported/pushed. Haven't tested it myself.

@cobaltit Maybe a different problem but the solution you're suggesting is reverted if you only perform the steps you suggested which is Factory reset, upgrade to 108, provision.

I do like this idea of alternative firmware option and if possible for the Grandstream phones would alleviate the reverting of the upgrade by the 3CX server. I found a forum thread that I think you maybe recalling as a "similar problem". However in this thread which as a 3CX video discussing this new feature it states "Currently only for Yealink and Fanvil". Did this change in SP 5 or 6? I didn't see it, but I'll go back through the release notes again.

I enabled the 3CX Custom Parameter for IPPHONE_MULTI_FIRMWARES, but it doesn't look like the Grandstream phones can take advantage of this multi-firmware option. I could resort to modifying the default template for the Grandstreams to point to a desired .108 firmware location. Specifically altering this path:
Code:
    <P192>%%PROVLINKLOCAL.HOST%%:%%PROVLINKLOCAL.PORT%%%%PROVLINKLOCAL.PATH%%/firmware/grandstream</P192>

Nah. I would just manually load the firmware on the phone ( or phones if you want to go all-in) via the phone web interface. I'm fairly certain 3CX won't automatically downgrade them and you avoid the custom template headache.

That's not what my tests show. It does in fact downgrade the firmware as I suspected. But by all means please test too and share your findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julian1234
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.