• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3cx 15 ssl installation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin obelisk

Reaction score
Hi,
We have had to update our ssl certs for our instance of 3cx 15. I am having a massive headache tring to prepare the certs so the nginix web server is happy with them. We receieved 2 .cer files from our issuing authority (rapid ssl)_ the intermediate cert and the ssl cert. How do I convert get these files into a state that the webserver will accept them (and if possible can you give me the idiots guide, as my knowldge of ssl certs and using open ssl is almost nil!)

And this is why you should be using the 3CX provided certs... Since your request has nothing to do with 3CX you should go find some Nginix forums. Most providers also ask you when you request a cert what web server you are using and provide it in the correct format already.

Cool where do we find the 3cx provided certs, and will they work for our FQDN?
And I would argue that it does have a lot to do with 3cx as it uses this web server, so there should be some support of its features be part of the product. I don't pay Ford for my car and then have them tell me I need contact the the OEM if I need a part replaced under warranty?

Attachments

• 544.png
    544.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 3
When you use the 3CX FQDN they handle the certificates for you. If you don't know how to install your own certificate, then you should probably be using the 3CX provided so it handles that all for you. If you inherited this setup and there is no need to use your own FQDN then I'd recommend doing a backup without FQDN, uninstalling, releasing the FQDN and then reinstalling using a 3CX provided FQDN. If you still insist on using your own FQDN and SSL then the link I provided should help as far as installing it. This link may help as well:

https://www.3cx.com/docs/fqdn-ssl-certificate-v15/

And no your analogy is not correct. When you buy a car from Ford, you buy the entire car. When you buy 3CX, you get 3CX. Nginx is not made by 3CX or sold by 3CX, it's merely one of several pieces 3CX uses. And since your question as far as the SSL certificate installation is a generic nginx question you would have better luck asking in a forum where people do exactly what you are trying to do regularly. Most people use the 3CX provided FQDN so you are less likely to get an answer, at least in a timely fashion, here.

@Colin-obelisk

if you have a 3CX FQDN, then it should update and replace themselves automatically.

If you have your own FQDN, you follow this guide here. It's pretty easy. No modifications to Nginx required.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/self-hosted-instances-ssh/

Not sure what's up with the unhelpfulness around here.

@JParo

Exactly what isn't helpful? OP stated they had to update their own certs (so no 3CX FQDN) and locating the certs wasn't a problem but getting them in the correct format was. The LMGTFY link I posted has articles from just about every SSL vendor on how to download or convert your certificate into the appropriate format.

I would say for free support that's pretty thorough and the response time was pretty good as well.

Reactions: craigreilly
is it advisable to use self signed certificate

is it advisable to use self signed certificate

I guess the real question is what would be the point? 3CX uses the very popular and widely accepted LE certificates which pretty much just works. And the goal of the LE project was to make the use of trusted certificates as easy and inexpensive as possible. Even before that you could get trusted certificates for like $10/yr. I can't remember the last time I used a self-signed cert for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.